Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I found this forum a couple day ago and have been browsing through it for awhile. Seems like there's a good group of people here waiting to offer help, so I made myself an account. When it come to vehicles, I can change my oil and that's pretty much where my vehicle savvy ends. I really want to learn about how to work on my vehicle and fix it up myself, so I'm open to everything anyone has to say.

I have a stock 2006 Jeep Wrangler sport right now that I'm wanting to do some upgrades to. I would like to put some Cragar soft 8 15x10 rims with Dick Cepek Crushers 33x12.5. I read on here somewhere this was a good combination of rim and tire sizes. One thing I'm unsure of though is my bolt pattern. How do I check this? Also, the rims I'm looking at right now say they have a 4" backspace. I'm still fairly uncertain what this is. Below is a link to the rims, however I'm not sure about the bolt pattern.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cragar-Whee...Parts_Accessories&hash=item564f20039a&vxp=mtr

Of course, I also plan to lift it at the same time I put the tires on. But instead of doing a suspension lift, I'm thinking about doing a body lift since it's so much cheaper. Is this a good choice? What are the pro's and con's of body lift vs suspension lift?

I don't plan on doing any hardcore rock climbing or anything else extreme, so I'm not looking to go all out and overkill it. It will definitely see it's fair share of mud though.

Dylan

·
Registered
51 Posts
TexasJeep2010 said:
Hey guys, I found this forum a couple day ago and have been browsing through it for awhile. Seems like there's a good group of people here waiting to offer help, so I made myself an account. When it come to vehicles, I can change my oil and that's pretty much where my vehicle savvy ends. I really want to learn about how to work on my vehicle and fix it up myself, so I'm open to everything anyone has to say.

I have a stock 2006 Jeep Wrangler sport right now that I'm wanting to do some upgrades to. I would like to put some Cragar soft 8 15x10 rims with Dick Cepek Crushers 33x12.5. I read on here somewhere this was a good combination of rim and tire sizes. One thing I'm unsure of though is my bolt pattern. How do I check this? Also, the rims I'm looking at right now say they have a 4" backspace. I'm still fairly uncertain what this is. Below is a link to the rims, however I'm not sure about the bolt pattern.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cragar-Whee...Parts_Accessories&hash=item564f20039a&vxp=mtr

Of course, I also plan to lift it at the same time I put the tires on. But instead of doing a suspension lift, I'm thinking about doing a body lift since it's so much cheaper. Is this a good choice? What are the pro's and con's of body lift vs suspension lift?

I don't plan on doing any hardcore rock climbing or anything else extreme, so I'm not looking to go all out and overkill it. It will definitely see it's fair share of mud though.

Dylan
welome!! ok first off your bolt pattern is 5x4.5 and is far as backspacing goes it is the measurement from where the wheel mounts to the back bead of the wheel. 33s are nice on a wrangler and arent overkill i dont know jeeps good enough to know if the sport only came with the 6cyl but if you have the 4 i would stick to a 31 inch tire beacause of the power loss. DO NOT PUT A BODY LIFT ON especially a 3 inch, i would suggest if your really dead set on a body lift dont go with no more then an inch, typically you can get a new mount set with the 1 inch built into it i beleive the kit i used was by daystar they make some nice stuff. I would either save and buy a basic 4in short arm kit complete i think national tire and wheel has it for 499 if you cant afford that and cant wait till you can i would just run some 2 inch daystar spacers and 31s that is a nice combination. You could also slowly check classified adds and craigslist and peice together a 4 inch kit..everyone bulids jeep there are so many parts out there..I hope i have helped you in some way and maybe others can chime in

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
spanky said:
welome!! ok first off your bolt pattern is 5x4.5 and is far as backspacing goes it is the measurement from where the wheel mounts to the back bead of the wheel. 33s are nice on a wrangler and arent overkill i dont know jeeps good enough to know if the sport only came with the 6cyl but if you have the 4 i would stick to a 31 inch tire beacause of the power loss. DO NOT PUT A BODY LIFT ON especially a 3 inch, i would suggest if your really dead set on a body lift dont go with no more then an inch, typically you can get a new mount set with the 1 inch built into it i beleive the kit i used was by daystar they make some nice stuff. I would either save and buy a basic 4in short arm kit complete i think national tire and wheel has it for 499 if you cant afford that and cant wait till you can i would just run some 2 inch daystar spacers and 31s that is a nice combination. You could also slowly check classified adds and craigslist and peice together a 4 inch kit..everyone bulids jeep there are so many parts out there..I hope i have helped you in some way and maybe others can chime in
Thanks Spanky!

I am curious though, why do you recommend staying away from the body lifts?

·
Registered
393 Posts
do a diesel swap :p haha just kidding, i would pretty much do like what spanky said, id save up for a 4inch susp lift and call it a day after that, 33's is pretty much the perfect set of tires for it, if not 35's would be good also, depends the look you are aiming for, and has far has body lift i dont have such a problem with them but wouldnt run bigger then the 2 inch body lift,

J.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A 2" body kit is as high as I would want to go with it. I was checking out some of the daystar lift kits and came across this one:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-lift-kits/daystar/wrangler-tj/4-lift-kit.htm

Is this what you were talking about? After doing this, is there anything else I would need to replace on the Jeep or will just installing the kit leave me with a perfectly drivable Jeep?

·
Registered
393 Posts
looks like it would be just about perfect, since the lift in 3 inches you steering parts and that should be ok, has far as im concerned everything looks good, someone else will most likly add something but has far has i could see i think it would be alright to start with, and should be drivable after that,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome! I may put that on intead of rims. I currently have Eagle Alloy 15x8 rims on it. Would it be possible to mount 33x12.5 tires or even 35x12.5 tires on those rims?

·
Registered
51 Posts
That looks to be the perfect setup for what u want...it is ok to mount on those wheels...alot of tires have a suggestion of what width wheel to run but ive ran 12.50 tires on 8 inch wide wheels plenty of times

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks! For now I'll go with the daystar liftkit and the Dick Cepek Crushers. Later, when I have money saved up again I'll probably buy some rims to put on it. It'll be after Christmas before I buy anything though. Gotta make sure I got enough money to buy presents for the family!

Again thank you to both of you for answering my questions. I hope I didn't make yall facepalm to much lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got to thinking about it, and a few more questions came to mind. With that 3in suspension lift will I need the slip yoke eliminator (I think that's the correct term?) Also, will there be anything I need for it?

Someone told me a while back that if I went with bigger tires recommended putting a bigger rear axle in. Do I really need one of will my stock axle be able to handle 33x12.5's? And if I put a bigger axle in the rear, do I need to put one if the front to?

·
Registered
393 Posts
im sure 33's will be fine with the current axle you have, you have a dana 44? or 35? and has for the SYE im not sure about that one im pretty sure you dont need it, but like i said i know nothing about jeep im assuming,

and dont worry about the questions ask away haha, keeps the forums goin. :p

·
Registered
51 Posts
33s will be ok on that axle but.if you are ever gonna change gears dont bother with the 35 just put an 8.8 in it... the front axle will be fine if you start breqkin shafts just go to autozone or advqnce or napa..etc.. a parts store and get cv shafts from a grandcherokee they go rite in and are alot stronger for like 100 a side and most times have a lifetime warranty..no slipyoke elim is fine i ran regular shaft with a 4 inch on mine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
spanky said:
33s will be ok on that axle but.if you are ever gonna change gears dont bother with the 35 just put an 8.8 in it... the front axle will be fine if you start breqkin shafts just go to autozone or advqnce or napa..etc.. a parts store and get cv shafts from a grandcherokee they go rite in and are alot stronger for like 100 a side and most times have a lifetime warranty..no slipyoke elim is fine i ran regular shaft with a 4 inch on mine

Ok cool. That'll save me a little bit of money. What are you talking about with the 8.8's? Gears I think?
That raises another question. Should I change the gears out eventually?

Jasonlmrx said:
im sure 33's will be fine with the current axle you have, you have a dana 44? or 35? and has for the SYE im not sure about that one im pretty sure you dont need it, but like i said i know nothing about jeep im assuming,

and dont worry about the questions ask away haha, keeps the forums goin. :p
I'm not sure which axle I have. As far as I know its the stock axle. I bought it used and haven't made any mods to it myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts