Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had put antifreeze in my tires (33X12.5 pirreli scorpuions) I was told on another forum that it was ok, but not as good as other stuff. I started wundering if it would put extra stress on the tire, having all that weight being push outward from inside? Then today I had a major blow out! I had just driven 80 miles @75mph, then driven in town for about 15 minutes, then I heard a pop sound, like when you hit a volley ball type sound, then I felt a thumping for about 8 blocks @ 25-30mph, then another pop and I lost air. The tread is seperated.

I have other tires with antifrezze in them also, should I remove it before useing them? :wall:

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Wait, aren't there detergents and other corrosive agents in antifreeze? That can't be good for the rubber compound.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
hmmmm, good point! :):

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
why not just get em balanced?

if speed balancing don't work, try a bubble balancer.
if that doesn't work get the beads used to balance semi tires.

Ive never even heard of anyone using liquid to try and balance tires. :silly:

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
:withstupid:
that's not a super big or aggressive tire, they should balance out fairly easily.

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
:withstupid: i know around here we use antifreeze and water mix in our tractor and mower tires. it helps for weight for more traction. but never heard of if on a truck.

I would look at another way to balance them. it seems like that would take alot longer to balance than some weights or beads.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I used the heave Air Soft bb's to balance out my tires, works really well. I just used a triple beam balance and put 4 oz. of em in each tire. Only time you really hear them rolling is when ur going super slow and when you stop abruptly you can hear em fall down and hit the wheel.

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Something interesting I just came across not too long ago...

Evidently they use water in comp rock krawlers to do whatever in the tires. I didn't read far into it because I thought why ?

All I could think of was the vibration I had in my one wheel when I had about 2 cans on Molson in there.

:D:

We were wheeling at Orviston for a weekend and I had lost a valve stem & bead. Well after breaking the bead to put the new stem in, we needed lubricant to help get the bead re-seated. All we had at hand was beer.... (go figure)

Couple days later I went to shop and had that one re-balanced... they said when they popped the bead they were overwhelmed by the stench of hot old beer. :rotfl:

They asked me why I had beer in my tire and I had to laugh... they pulled out about 2 cans worth.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
On 2007-12-26 16:16, Glenshadow wrote:
Something interesting I just came across not too long ago...

Evidently they use water in comp rock krawlers to do whatever in the tires. I didn't read far into it because I thought why ?

they use water in their tires to add stability. you can create a lot more weight low in the vehicle, especially if its unsprung weight, to make it harder to flop.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
It seems to me that by putting water in a tire to help unsprung weight would be counterproductive. If you put enuff in to effect unsprung weight, which would be gallons, it seems it would make the tire unstable when it sloshes and could actually throw you off your intended line...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
ya, ive heard that from some people, while others are experiencing positive effects from the water technique. i guess its just a matter of driver preference. i doubt anybody uses it for rockcross or rockracing, where more speed is involved, but more-so for the "old school" rock crawling comps.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I used golf balls for my old Iroks 7 in each tire they worked well my toyos were never balanced and I never had a problem with them my brother inlaws tractor has liquid chloride (I think) in the tires for added weight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
why not just get em balanced?

if speed balancing don't work, try a bubble balancer.

if that doesn't work get the beads used to balance semi tires.

Ive never even heard of anyone using liquid to try and balance tires. :silly:
I use 20 ounces of rv antifreeze in my truck tires and have taken any vibrations to zero. I have 350000 miles on my drives and 175000 on my steers. 100 times better than centramatics and I don't have to worry about weights getting thrown off on the crappy roads I drive on. use 6 to 8 ounces for your girly tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts