Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. As some of you may know i am geting a '92 Cherokee. But the problem with putting bigger tires on is that when i turn sharpe the rub the link arm. Does anyone know how to stop this from hapopening? Wickedakota says to get different rims tha have more backspaceing. Well i hope someone knows how i could fix this. If you do write to me i really need to know how to fix this.

Kyle

·
Registered
6 Posts
Adjust the steering stops. You'll lose a a bit of steering radius, but no more rubbing. And are you sure it's the track bar? You're much more likely to rub the lower control arms or the swaybar.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Only drive on straight roads.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I didnt look under it. Wickedakota looked under it as i turned the wheel. he said its rubbing on the trac bar, so im taking his word for it. So if i adjust the steering stops there should not be anymore rubbing? Otherwise i could just buy new wheels that have more backspacing. I was looking at U.S. Wheel 84 series. Those look like they should work. Replies would be appreciated.

-Kyle

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i know i will probably end up having to make it have less of a turning radius. But thats ok, i will either have to do what you otherwise it might be able to make the corners. I dont know, looks like i will find out when i get it done. Probably this coming January i will have pics on the site because thats when i get my lisence and it wil be done.

-Kyle

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I cant believe it would be the trackbar, if you turn the wheels to the left do they rub ounder the drivers side floorboard? If you turn right they should rub under the pass. side floorboard, if so then its more likely your rubbing the lower control arm. There isnt too much harm in rubbing those with the tires unlless you are going to an extreme, like jumping the truck. Like someone else said, a set of offset or deepdish rims should help you out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't put deepdish wheels on it. Then you'll hit your fenders when you flex the suspension. Nevermind that that kills the wheel bearings. What size tires are we talking here anyway? The best way to eliminate that rubbing is to adjust the steering stops. Deep dish wheels will just cause it rub somwhere else.

Go to the XJ board at http://www.jeepsunlimited.com

you'll get WAY more info over there than you will here.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Just for clarification, the track bar runs parrallel with the axle, and the control arms run perpandicular. i would find it impossible to rub the track bar. but anyways, a little rubbing on the control arms is not bad at all. just amke sure you dont turn full lock at speeds other than a u-turn. besides if your rubbing at high speed like that, im surprised your truck is still on four wheels.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, yeah my bro just informed me it is the link arm. I dont know why he told me the trac bar before but o well. So it is rubbin on the link arm. Just thought i would tell ya that.

Kyle

·
Registered
896 Posts
Rubbing on the link arms are no big deal. My tires rub the arms a bit under full lock. Like I said above, (I also post under Ramowner98) you can adjust the steering stops to compensate for that.

Now what size tires are we talking about anyway?

·
Registered
83 Posts
the rubbing wont hurt much other than your ears.adjusting the stops works too.

if you have a narly tread than you will hear it more as the lugs of the tire rap,rap rap as they hit.a slightly wider rim should help pull the sidewall and tread away without going to a different offset wheel but would try someone elses before i parted with the cash and not be happy

·
Registered
362 Posts
The cheapest way to fix this problem is not to make any turns! HAHA NO really adjust your steering stops and that should handle it if not than go to rims set a little farther out to thje edge of the body.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am going to be putting 30x9.5-15 Mickey Thompson Baja Belted. I am going to buy new rims with more backspacing and i will probably adjust the steering stops too. So that should stop the rubbing, if it rubs a little after doing the adjustments i have a loud enough sound system to take care of the rubbing noise. but it shouldn't rub anyways.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Why don't you lift it an inch or two? You can lift an XJ that much very cheaply and easily. 2" spacer in the front, 2" block in the rear.

Go easy on the backspacing. Try just 1/2" less. Too little backspacing and you'll be ruining wheel bearings and tagging the sheetmetal when you turn. Try adjust the steering stops first. 30's should fit with stock wheels.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
And I thought I was the only one with turning problems.... Geezz.. I wish mine turned so much that it rubs... mine takes about 20 feet to make a turn.. just look at my 2002 pics....
:):

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your truck is pretty nice, now all you have to do is get a paint job and your truck will be really nice. Yeah your truck dont have a very good turning radius. but o well as long as you can make 90 degree corners its all good. Yeah that all i can turn right about now becuz it starts rubbing. But after i adjust the stops it will be good.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts