Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Yes, I am new here and I have a few questions in regards to tire and rim sizes.
I had a 98' Dakota 4x4,that I JUST traded in on a new 2001 Ram quad cab 4x4, 5.9. I had the Dakota all built up and went with 32's on 15x8 American Racing 589 rims. I took them off before I traded it in and on the Ram I have the 245/75 16's. I am going to get new rims and tires for it, but the question I have is I see some of you all are running 15's and some of you all running 16's.
What would be better to run (rim size) and tire size before I decide to put a lift on it. How big of a tire will fit before I have to lift it?
Like I said, I am new to this board and I know some of my questions are repeats, but I couldn't find any exact questions posted.
I also know that the Dakota rims will not fit, but was just curious about the size difference.
Any help in this would be greatly appreciated and look forward to seeing you all a lot in the up comming future.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I can't answer the question to the bast rim size, but everyone i see runs 15s. As far as seeing if your truck can hold bigger tires 1) measure out our wheels from the top of the tire to the top of the wheel well. 2.) then measure how much the suspension has the travel before it hit the overloads. 3.) Then visually see if the tire as bigger could it pass up through the wheel well w/o rubbing the side. (i have seem guys be running and they get a side down and blow a tire). 4.) Then just do the math for example if you had 33s and your top of the tire to the top od the wheel base was 9inches and your suspension travel was 4inches. Just subtract 9-4=5 then 33+5=38. Which everyone knows you can't do that cause no one can fit 38s on stock. so the is were you take the diametter of your tire and measure out the farest it could be in the front wheel well before it rubs.

I used it to figure i could out 35x10.50 in my non-lifted Charger

·
Registered
87 Posts
The reason that some fols are running 15 in rims and that others are running 16s is that on the newer Rams, the brake calipers are so big that you have to have a 16 in rim to fit over the calipers. If you have an older Ram that you can use a 15 or a 16 in rim on, then I would probably go with the 15 in. rim, because you'll get a slightly larger footprint when you airdown.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Spme other reason's people use 15" rims is because the rims are cheaper, and tires are cheaper. There is a greater selection of tires in 15" rims too, but alot of tire companys are producing more size choices in the 16" rims now.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Airborne,

Is your '01 an OFF-ROAD??? Here's a little tip to help you determine what size tire for what size lift:

32" tires - stock height
33" tires - 3" lift
35" tires - 3" lift ('01 OFF-ROAD PKG)
35" tires - 5" lift (non OFF-ROAD)
38" tires - 7" lift
etc...

Good Luck! :bigthumb:

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad-Cab SLT 4X4 SB, 5.2L V8, 5" SkyJacker Stage II Kit, 35/12.50/15 Good~Year MT/R's on 15X8 Weld Racing Sidewinder Wheels, Flowmaster Cat-Back Exhaust System, Custom Audio System.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all,
I appreciate the help/tips. I look forward to more friendly advice in the future. Hope I can help some of ya'll out in the future as well.
Now, If I can just get some more power out of that engine...
And "no", it is not an Off-Road package. Not yet anyways.

Thanks again :bigthumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts