Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen that green slime stuff and thought about how good it might work. i havent yet had a problem on a trial where i needed a spare tire, but just in case. Anyone used it?

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry. its supposed to coat the inside of the tires and seal off leaks if you puncture the tire. i think its called Slime.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm getting some for my atv I hear it works well. I'm friends with the owner of a polaris dealer and thats what she told me. I've never heard of it being used in any biger than small sized tires.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I think it works great for light tires. Like atv's or dirt bikes. As for heavy trucks, go with the tire plug kit. Still, the best thing to do is use the spare, and get the tire fixed 100% when you get back.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a honda 3 wheeler and it has two piece wheeels that often gets leaks but after I put the slime in I havent had any leaks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've put slime in bike tires and it works great. Wouldn't ride without it after I first tried it. I've never tried it in a truck tire, but I bet it would work really good. Just remember to tell the tire guys it's in there when you get new tires, otherwise they may end up wearing it. I've had that experience, working in a tire shop, it isn't fun.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
the Slime is awesome we have it in our ATV's and it works great....but it would take a whole damn lot of slime to do a truck tire.....it would get up there in the dollars, ya know...dont know if its worth doing a 36" tire

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
With all that "slime" in a truck tire, wouldnt it throw the tire out of balance at high speeds?

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
oh yeah it is really really really nastie when u change the tire off the wheel too..... im not gonna do my truck tires any way too much slime and mess...but perfect for atv's

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had some of that slime in my BFG m/t's, and it did throw them way off balance. and they rode rough as hell at highway speeds. You wouldnt believe how many thorns and nails i pulled out of my tires but if your concerned about getting your tires balanced once every month and a rougher ride then dont get it.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, so i dont want it in my truck, but if i put it in my bike, will it throw that off balance? my bike will do almost 100 mph.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I dont think it should go into anything but an atv. A dirt bike is way to dangerous, because it can throw you way off balance at those speeds, and on a truck, it wouldn't work all that great because of the pressure. Sure you can squeeze a few more miles out of it, but I wouldn't recommend it. I know because my dad used it on his trailer tires, and he got maybe 20 more miles out of it. All it did was leave a mean mess for me when I had to fix it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have put slime in my yamaha raptor tires and at top speed (75 mph) it does not shake. I have also used it in two of my truck tires. When it is cold out the tires feel out of balance at even 40 mph but once the tire warms up there is no noticeable vibration till about 70 and at 100 its noticeable but tolerable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The good thing with slime is that you dont even have to stop if u get a puncture it fixes it self. havn't really heard of the plug thingie before.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ive used slime many times in my dirtbike and atv tires, but never in a truck tire. if you feel an unbalanced feel, it is probably because either:
A.)You did not drive around long enough for it to evenly coat the inside of the tire and dry adequately
B.)You put way too much in, then let it all settle to one portion of the tire where it now sits

I think the key is the driving around part. You really need to put in some time on the tire to get it coated and if you use too much, it will take forever to work.
Just my $.02

1 - 16 of 16 Posts