Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday as I got off work, there was a Dodge 2500 diesel parked next to my Dodge. It's back tires were somewhat in line with mine, and I was able to see that it's wheel was taller than mine! I have 32" 11.50 15's it's wheel was a 285# (that's all I go on it)
That 285 wheel looked to be almost 4" taller than my 32"! What's up with that?Also, the truck sat higher than mine by at least 6" The truck wasn't lifted, other than stock (when comparing door tops)
I thought that the 285 was close to a 32" tall tire. Apparently, a metric tire size of 265 XX would be closer to 32" tire huh?

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Several factors come into play:

• Wheel width: Skinnier wheel will bulge the center of similar sized tires. YOu probably have 8" wheel while teh Cummins may have the factory 6.5" wheel
  • Wheel diameter: More sidewall on your 15" tires allows more sidewall bulge, thus the total hieght is lower
  • You 15" tires are most likely C rated and the Cummins probably has D or E rated tires so they will be stiffer and "sag" less than yours
  • Tire type/mfg: Some tires are taller than others regardless of sidewall stamp
  • 2500 has 2" taller frame
  • Since it is a Cummins, most likely has camper package so its got an extra 1" at least from spring thickness and stiffness

All that adds up to a taller tire and taller ride.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Also the cummins could of had an overload spring setup which has a 1" block in between the springs.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
it depends on the manufacture of the tire. they give the sizes but dont always make it to that size. to find out for sure, go to the tire man. website and look it up.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I´m almost sure that the 2500 is near 2" taller than 1500. And 265 are 31,6", so is near 32" than 31".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts