Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are many different trucks on this site running many different mud tires. Since I've really only run TSL radials i don't knwo how lots of other tires clean themselves in mud. I'm just looking for some feedback of which tires self-clean themselves the best. Any feedback would be great.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My xterrains work clean well, I mean they arent swampers but they do very well for me.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
My BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM's self clean great. I like to keep my rpm's up to make sure they will clean out, but when i dont spin the tires alot they still clean good.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the mud I was in a few days ago was pretty thick and I spun and spun and spun the TSL's but they were still packed with mud. I was havin trouble pulling out another truck cause my tires were practically slicks. But maybe that was just the type of mud I was in. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I didn't have any problems with my MTRs not cleaning until hollister a few weeks ago. It was so sticky that your shoes just felt glued to it. You'd walk around a bit, and have a 1"+ layer on the bottom of your shoes.

In that, I had some nasty stuff, but if i spun the tires good, they would start to throw it loose.

So far, my MTRs have just rocked, though. That day I was slipping and sliding, but doing better than anyone else (only one with aggressive mudders).

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Woody,
I have heard that those MTR's are awesome in the mud. When 4wheel and off road tested mud tires they actually came in 3rd place. Finishing behind the SSR and bogger. The only thing that turned me away from them is the price!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
From the wear, my MTRs will last a lot longer than your swampers, though. I'm at 5K, and I can't measure much of any wear. I'm expecting to get 30K out of these, which is half again as much as swampers.

So, when comparing cost, factor in the lifetime of the tires.

Now, the MTRs ARE expensive, but I got mine and had then installed for under $900. $780 shipped to my door, plus $100 for remounting 5 tires. I bought 4 MTRs, and am using one of my old 35" tires on the spare rim.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah that is a good point, although for a swamper the radials last very long. Is your tire a 35x12.5? Thats what size i would be looking at.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm. well thats only about an inch shorter than my swampers. Plus the Radials are still pretty loud on the highway.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
if you are unhappy with the tsls cleaning your only choice is a bogger. in petersons 4wheeler they did a mudtire shootout and the goodyear m/tr's ranked 2nd or 3rd boggers were 1st an the tsl s/x 's were the oppisite of the m/tr's. there were 10 tires. m/tr's claws, procomps, komoto's (or some cazy thing like that, they were last so it does not matter,) bfg m/t's tsl's tsl s/x tsl ssrs, boggers and somthing else. i will look for it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah i have that issue. it was the boggers, MTR's, SSR's, TSL's, Gumbo mudders, BFG, baja Claw, Pro comp, and the Yoko geolander in that order. I dont really know how good that test was considering they used a jeep CJ-8. Thats a good off road vehicle but not really what i would choose to spin big mud tires My TSL's are still a great tire, I love em but they are a little narrow for their size so I might go with the SSR next. I will probably never get anything else besides a swamper cause they are the best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts