Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you decide to install a spindle lift, you may be able to retain the stock tire/wheels by having them balanced using sticky weights or powder.

When I installed my fabtech 3.5" spindle lift and my 2" coil spacers, I had clearance issues with the weights on the inner wheel lip contacting the top of the spindle. I didnt notice at first, but the wieghts got .15 shaved off and my tires were no longer balanced. When I pulled the wheel and saw the shiny spot on the spindle it didn't take long to figure it out.

I took it to the tire shop and they balanced the front wheels using sticky weights towards the inside on the rim. Fixed problem and now the tires are balanced again.

Just thought i would post this up incase anybody has/had this problem or was wondering.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's a good quality kit, spindles are a lot beefier than stock. While you are at it you may want to replace you ball joints.
Mine needed replacing when I installed but didn't have the parts on hand.
I was told by a reputable source on here that the Moog ball joints last a lot longer than the parts house brand. They are worth the price.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Another way to have them balanced is to have the weights on the outside of the wheel instead of the inside. My bro ran into the same problem but the tire shop took care of it. Glad you like the spindles! :cool::

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I asked about that, but they said it puts uneven strain in the hubs...something about them being balanced equally...i dunno.
I would have went the powder route but the tire shop I use doesn't warranty the tire balance when powder is used.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how far do you want to go?
With my bone stock suspension I ran 2.5" spacers.
Granted, it rode a little rougher but I sat 2" higher.
You can pickup some JCwhitney cheapies for $20.
Mine have been in for almost 4 years now, and are still working good.
They are hard rubber split donut type. They are universal fit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts