Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just dropped the oil pan on my engine cus of the noise ive had since frank raines. i found that my timing chain is really loose. does anyone have any ideas to what would have caused this stretch so much? i have 65,000 so i dont think the chain is at its end from miles.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Jeeze, I hope the chain isn't at it's "end" I have 148,000 on mine! No answere as to why there's play. On my jeep, when I changed it out it's timing chain, & gears, I was shocked and surprized to find the gear was nylon!(toothed part) The one that went in was all steel!.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
James -

Is your squeak an intermittent one? Sounds like bearing or pulley problems? I have a nasty squeak that is very intermittent as well ever since FR. Changed the belt, checked the fan clutch, water pump bearing (by trying to wiggle fan) and I did find some play in the steering pump pulley (in/out not up/down)

Everythgin else seems fine.

I have 130,000 on my motor and need to do swap the water pump most likely and the timing chain as well. To do the timing chain test procedure is a PITA though.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Not about the timing chain, Jason...how about your belt tensioner. I also have a wonderful squeak from my engine compartment. It was the belt tensioner. I changed it out and stopped the squeak...until I went through another deep mud pit and splashed it with muddy water again...

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I have sprayed lube on the tensioner and it is still squeaking. I am probably going to replace it, possibly the PS pump and maybe the water pump in the next few months. That should get rid of all external squeaking sources. I also have to fix the intake plenum gasket.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do have a squeaking noise coming from my tensioner also, but this noise is coming from internal. i believe it to be the timing chain. the only other thing thats wierd is that my oil pressure stays at 0 psi when i first start it up for about 5 secs then it bumps up to like 60 psi or so.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts