Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight . . . I'm still looking for more opinions on these tires. This summer I am moving up tire sizes to either 37 or 38s, and the 38.5x14.50x15 Thornbird is a burly lookin tire. Their real OD is 37.1 and they have sipes for road traction. I have heard things like they are great in the mud, but not too good in the rocks. Anyone out there with any experience on these treads?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I think people buy these tires for looks, to tell you the truth. They look very aggressive, but unless you like all the road noise these things give off, I wouldn't buy them...

I myself, run the GoodYear MT/R's and I feel that they are an awesome all around tire. The MT/R's are good on all off road surfaces, as well as on the pavement...

Good Luck! :bigthumb:

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad-Cab SLT 4X4 SB, 5.2L V8, 5" SkyJacker Stage II Kit, 35/12.50/15 Good~Year MT/R's on 15X8 Weld Racing Sidewinder Wheels, Flowmaster Cat-Back Exhaust System, Custom Audio System.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am thinking of buying the Thornbirds, I don't mind if they are loud on the highway. I am worried about wear, I like the look of these and I want to run a 38" tire, I could fit them but since they are really about 37" in OD that is even better. Does anyone know how many miles they hold? I was thinking of these or some Baja Claw Radials, haven't decided yet.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I myself have the basic M/T tires but if i was to get another tire i think i would go with the Thornbirds. On the road the side tread never touches and off road in the mud i have seen them tear out some mud and sand. As far as rocks i have noticed since they don't have a realy set tread design they don't want to confomr to the surfaces as well but they perform well whe you need that side wall. As far as tread wear, they can go as far as other tires, know a guy that has drove on his everyday for 3 years now.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I ran across the topic of thornbirds on another website in a forum, didn't like the setup of their forum. To unorganised, hurts your eyes and everything flashes. It was on Customtruckshowcase.com, like this site much better, they argue to much over there haha. They were arguing saying that the Thornbirds were not a good tire and it sucked. 1 guy said they were good and liked his but he was selling them. GO Figure? They had 50% tread left too. I think now I am just gonna stick with my first intentoin of getting the MT Baja Claw Radials.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, what kind of sizes does the MT Claw come in? How abouts price too. I like the looks of the MT and heard good things about them, but if they're too expensive . . . fuggedaboutit.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Interco is a very reputable tire manufacturer! Its all a matter of personal preference! The main issue would be whether to get BIAS or RADIAL PLY tires, but that all depends on your driving habits and conditions... :bigthumb:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the truck is obviously a daily driver. I go wheelin nearly every weekend though. I do however want a tire that's gonna wear fairly well on the street. I'm looking for something in a 36 or 37 inch diameter, and 14.50 inch widthe. I like the looks of the Radial TSLs, but they are awefully expensive. We'll see what pans out though. Right now I'm off to 4WheelParts to buy an AGR power steering pump. Later!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why would you want thornbirds?
I have friends that have bought them and they are possibly the worst tire I have been around! Mud, don't think about it unless you have someone else around to get you out. I have yet to see a set that wears evenly!
Check out the MTR's I just bought a set and they are great! I am able to run with the guy's with boggers, ect. and had no problems and havent gotten stuck! Yet
If you do a lot of highway driving look at the BFG's ot MTR's or something along that line.
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I heard from a buddy that thornbirds suck.
He had 35's on a four runner adn ruined the front two in the first two weeks he had them.
Trust me my friend isnt a hard driver,and all we have in this area is mud, mud, and mud

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
My buddy has a Ford with a set of 38.5 Thornbirds(I think, may have been 38) anyway, They seemed to beat you up more after sitting overnight than my 39.5 Swampers do they were not good in the mud at all, Comparison in the MUD Bogger 1-10 10, Swamper 1-10 8, Thornbird 1-10 a 4 or 5, not very good, after see the the tire display in the mud i believe a 33 or 35 BFG or Procomp or Goodyear MT would fair better. They also pull the truck back and forth across the road. Ride in a truck that has them before you buy a set. I also dont care for their looks.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
i havent heard antying good yet about the thornbird tires. if it was me i would get some mickey thompson baja belted. my friend just got some and their are pretty awesome

·
Registered
923 Posts
I had a set of 33 inch t birds and HATED them. They are real loud on the road, follow grooves, won't hold a straight line, and you can't harldy turn a corner. They also ride rough. Bias ply tires suck. Driving on wet pavement was nothing short of nightmare. They get terrible traction on wet pavement and still follow grooves and track all over the road. Try that at 70 on the highway. I wouln't take another set of these if they were given to me. They do pretty good in the mud if you can get the side lugs to dig in. If they aren't in you aren't going anywhere. My opinion, if drive your truck on the road ever, don't use these tires. If you are primarily off road you might tolerate them but I couldn't.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm on my second set of thornbirds on my explorer 33x12.5x15's and love them last set had 50,000 on them and the guy at my tire shop couldnt believe it yes they are noisy but if you want a good mud tire its gonna howl....they kick ass in sand,snow, and rocks you just need to adjust air preasure for the conditions.....some people have had problems getting them balanced I had mine equalized with equal powder if you dont know what that is e-mail and i'll explain. good luck

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I cant believe that the thornbirds are anything short of crappy in deep mud, the only thing they have going for them is the side lugs, my Ram will go places in 2 wheel drive that my buds with the 38" Thornbirds could go in 4wheel low.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've got to agree with Tunis I bought a set when they first came out, actuall the second set in town cause they looked mean and I though they would diq like mad. Well they did well on the light truck but they were noisier than my x-girlfriend mouth when she was mad at me, and she stayed mad all the time it seemed... hence the x part... I got smart finialy..... any way they were 29x10.50 on a light, little isuzu. They lasted about 40,000 miles before I sold the truck and had about 1/4 tread left. I checked my presure and rotated every 3,000 mile religiously( did I spell that right???dont think so). But now if i dont go with swampers Q78's than I'm gonna get bfg's. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You know now that I think about the folks that I know that have had the larger sizes, they havent got to many miles out of them. Maybe they should call the bigger sizes thorn-turds......haha. For what you pay for the thornbirds you can just about get a set of ssr's

·
Registered
66 Posts
the thornbirds are sweet looking tires. i was looking into them but i asked and the sales rep at 4wheelparts said they only last about 8000 miles at the most on the road. i ended up getting the ssr from super swamper. they are nice tires and came in second only to the boggers in a big mud test petersons did a while ago, they last about 12000 miles(longest of the super swamper brand) and they are still good in the rocks. if u are looking for an off-road/on-road tire and want to go with the super swamper i would recomend that one. i love them and they still have that bad ass super swamper look

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've got just a few words for you: Buckshots, Gumbo mudders, and Ground Hawgs..
http://www.ntwonline.com/ntw0799/pages/mudders.html
Check them out, I have heard and seen alot of good stuff about them!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts