Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else have trouble with this irritating cup holder ..after ya spill a few bubbly pops in this damn thing its gets sticky and rattles... its very annoying!! is this thing easy to take out or no?? its very hard to clean it good !!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a '95 and i love it when you take a corner and a cup (mcdonalds or mocha) will tip right over and fall out. I have actually caught most of them upside down in my hand w/ the lid still on. It is good to know that the beer has not deadened my reflexes to much. The passenger side is screwed, can't get there in time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
All you have to do is spray some silicone on it and you won't hear it rattle for a long long time. Worked like a charm for my rattling cup holder.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I ditched the dash mounted cup holders long ago. I use this instead:

(i no longer have the remote there - it looked dumb)

You can find it at http://www.genosgarage.com

I used the factory dash location to mount switches and what not and I just ordered one of the billet plates from MCS (look for his ad here) to make it look even better than what I currently have.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
To uninstall it first remove your dash bezel and there will be one screw behind that. Then undo the four screws. The first time I tried to remove the thing I undid the four screws and did not realize about the hidden screw behind the dash bezel. Anyways I broke a hinge and one year later the other one broke. THAT THING COSTS $80! Be careful. That is if your truck is a 98+ with and automatic tranny.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey snowjay,
What type of CB is that in your truck. Also did you just take the ashtray out and it fit right in or did you have to modify it. Also do you like the CB and how much did it cost and where did you get it.
Brian

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah, give us more info on that CB, that really looks nice. Did you have to fab up any brackets or anything? Ive never seen a CB that small either. Looks great! Also, is that CB hard wired to your truck? I couldnt tell from the pic what the cig lighter is powering.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
I was thinking the exact same thing, I have been trying to find a spot to mount a CB, but that looks sweet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i mounted mine to the back wall of the cab underneath the split-rear window with the buttons facing towards the roof, since i dont play with any of the buttons once i have it tuned, this doesnt create a problem. its right between the two bucket seats so if i do need to adjust the volume, its not too difficult, i have the dials memorized and i have the channel selector set so that when i push a button down it goes to 19, down again is 9 and all the way up is whatever the channel dial is showing. My cb is a cobra, forgot the model number though. I have mine hardwired to the truck, that way i can leave the power to the cb on without worrying about draining the battery, it goes on when the ignition is turned to accessory and on.
-Eric

·
Registered
493 Posts
I need to take some newer pics of the dash but here are the details everyone is asking for...

The CB is a Uniden 520xl. All I had to do it make it fit was remove the ash tray and bracket, take off 'case' off the cb and insert it into the hole. I think one of the 'alignment tabs' for the ash tray backet had to be shaved a bit but nothing crazy. Easy huh? I have no brackets or anything holding it in place. It's a pretty tight fit and has never fallen out and its been in there at least 3 years. I have the CB grounded to one of the screws under the dash and the power wire runs to the fuse box where it gets power from the ligher fuse.

Under the dash just behind the 4x shifter in the pic I have a small external speaker that plugs into the back of the CB. You cant hear the builtin speaker very well since its behind the dash. I bought the speaker for Radio Shack for something like $10 a few years ago.

In the picture my cell phone mount is in the cig lighter but I have since moved it up to the power outlet for ease of use plus it looks better there.

I will take some new pictures this weekend and show exactly how the cb fits in the hole and my new dash 'configuration'.

As for how I like the CB, it gets the job done. It's got a switch if I want to hook up a loudspeaker to it, squelch, volume, rf gain, instant ch 9, anl, and a decent meter display. I think I bought it for $60 or so a few years ago.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Where did you get those cupholders?? I need one of those!! I trashed the stock cupholders a while ago.
I was going to mount my CB in the ash tray area too.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks Jay,
Does that cup holder fall out or anything? Can you still fold the seat up and use it easily? Over all is it worth the $34?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think its well worth it. It gets held into the console by a strip of velcro so you can remove it if need be, but I never have and have tilted up the console a few times when I had two passengers.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The Geno's cupholder is nice, but it's $35.00. I bought two cheapie old-style cupholders that slide between the window and the weatherstripping. About .99 cents each. I cut off the excess strap and screwed the strap part to the inside of my console and closed the lid. Now I have two cupholders on my console like it should have come from the factory. Plus they flip out of the way when you raise the console. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had a 96 that had the stock cup holders mounted into the dash. I wish I had a dollar for every time I went around a corner and watched my 20 oz. do a tumble onto the floor and fizz all over.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts