Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about trading in my 1500 and buying myself a 2500 diesel.
I am not real happy with the trade in value of my truck but I guess I can live with it.

To get a 2500 the way I want it would cost my trade plus a max of $15k depending on the options I want.

Are their are disadvantages to getting a 2500 diesel that anyone can tell me about?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,232 Posts
excellent gas mileage!!! :bigthumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,611 Posts
My next truck will be diesel. I kinda wished I'd gone diesel to begin with! No disadvantages I can think of, other than maybe fuel availabilty. Better for towing, better fuel economy, no smog, (important here in CA.!) Can be somewhat obnoxious to other drivers depending on how loud you make it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
The only things I would do different when I got my truck is I would like to have the extra cab, and diesel! The motors are increadable and live a long life. Power is awsome and so is the milage! the price at the pump is usually less then the cheapest gas.
I can't really think of any down side other than you can't buy your fuel at every gas station. Aside from that...do it!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,227 Posts
The only drawback is the weight of the motor. Makes playin gin the mud difficult and limits the wheelin' you can do due to the extra weight on the front axle.

Other than that, gobs of torque, great mileage and the motor will outlast the truck most likely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,235 Posts
The V10 motor is also a really good one. It may not get the gas milage of a diesel, but its got more hp (300 in older and 310 in newer models) and the same torque (about 500 ft/lbs) This way you get the horsepower of a gas motor, but the torque of a diesel. Im happy with mine!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys. Any idea what kind of MPG we are talking about here?
city/freeway?

Bob,

What parts are you interested in? I already have some of them off my truck. The rockers are chip are already out and will not go back on even if I keep the truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bob,

The volant is in perfect shape. I has been on the truck maybe 9 months at the most.
I just recently got the second air scoope for it. The headers have been on for maybe a year. They are the Gibson Stainless. Before I sell anything I need to check with my brother to see if he wants anything since he recently got a 96 Ram 1500.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
canyonero02,

thanks for that info. Do you know if that is only with the 5 or 6 speed or will the auto get that as well? I am sure that on the freeway the auto will make almost no difference since it has a lock up converter but I have to ask.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
On 2002-01-08 12:18, Bill_L wrote:
canyonero02,

thanks for that info. Do you know if that is only with the 5 or 6 speed or will the auto get that as well? I am sure that on the freeway the auto will make almost no difference since it has a lock up converter but I have to ask.

I wouldn't suggest the auto-stick. First Dodge offers an H.O. Cummins, but it's only available with the standard.
Next, the automatic is barely rated for the torque of the Cummins. I've read that many are having problems living behind the diesel.
Ed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
On 2002-01-08 00:26, Bill_L wrote:
I have been thinking about trading in my 1500 and buying myself a 2500 diesel.
I am not real happy with the trade in value of my truck but I guess I can live with it.

To get a 2500 the way I want it would cost my trade plus a max of $15k depending on the options I want.

Are their are disadvantages to getting a 2500 diesel that anyone can tell me about?

The diesel choice is the best. A Cummins will out torque and out power most big blocks especially at low RPMs. (Most big blocks make their power high on the RPM scale) You'll pull better than gas engines and you'll get a few MPG more mileage, towing or not.
The problem I see is in the front axle. Unless you are planning on buying a 2wd, there's no worries. But a Ram 2500 4x4 is a 3/4 ton truck. Although it has a hefty Dana 60 rearend, it has a much smaller Dana 44 front axle. Actually if the truck remains stock, you should have no problems with this axle. If you plan on future upgrades, like taller tires, maybe a regear of the axles, and perhaps a locker, the front axle will not live long. In this case I'd suggest a Ram 3500, that way you get Dana 60s at both ends.
Ed
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,227 Posts
On 2002-01-08 13:22, Ed wrote:
The diesel choice is the best. A Cummins will out torque and out power most big blocks especially at low RPMs. (Most big blocks make their power high on the RPM scale) You'll pull better than gas engines and you'll get a few MPG more mileage, towing or not.
The problem I see is in the front axle. Unless you are planning on buying a 2wd, there's no worries. But a Ram 2500 4x4 is a 3/4 ton truck. Although it has a hefty Dana 60 rearend, it has a much smaller Dana 44 front axle. Actually if the truck remains stock, you should have no problems with this axle. If you plan on future upgrades, like taller tires, maybe a regear of the axles, and perhaps a locker, the front axle will not live long. In this case I'd suggest a Ram 3500, that way you get Dana 60s at both ends.
Ed

Actually the Cummins comes with the Dana 60 front and the Dana 70 or 80 rear in both the 2500 and 3500. The only 2500 that comes with the Dana 44/DC 9.25" combo was the light duty 2500 with the V8 that used to be made (94-95 only). Now you either get front and rear Dana 60's with the V8 or the 60 front and 70 (auto)/80 (manual) rear with the V10 and Cummins. In the 3500, only the 80 rear is available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Is the auto trans going to be an issue? I am a little worried about it.
I hope that it is not the same one that Dodge uses in the 1500. If it is then I will have to look at the stick.
I don't think that the auto that is in the 1500 is really good enough for a truck it's size and with it's towing capacity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
I've seen a cummings at pismo beach cross the creeck at high tide, as soon as the intake seen a little water the turbo pushed it all into the motor. Water shouldnt be a problem unless you are ruthless with a $45,000 rig in the first place.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
I read a magazine article a few months ago that said it would take almost 150,000 miles to make up the difference from the extra cost of the deisel over the extra cost of gas. So if your main reason for buying a deisel is gas milage, it is not really worth it. Plus I can't stand the noise of a deisel, and get up and go and top speed mean a little to me too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the mileage is not the main reason. There are several reason and mileage is just one.
If I had known then what I know now I would have got the 2500 in the first place.

I know that the diesel will be trouble free, there are not as many mods that I will be tempted to do on it like I already have with my current truck. Ok so there really are allot but other than a lift and tires its not going to happen.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top