Off Road Vehicles banner

Things to bug Dodge about during a service

2K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Outlaw Ram 
#1 ·
I am taking my truck in on Tuesday for some TSB issues to see what all they will fix. I am wondering if there is anything specific I should hit them real hard about. I think that there are a few minor recalls on the 01 but I am not sure how many apply to my truck.

The trans growling I am going to leave alone. (see other post)

I am going to bug them baddly about the milage I get.. It is unacceptable to me that I average about 10mpg with a combo of city and freeway driving. Sometimes it isnt that high. When the truck was new I got 17 average on the freeway while towing.
Right now my 500hp Mustang gets better milage than my truck.

any ideas?
Thanks.

Jet Stage II chip
Custom FlowMaster Exhaust
Mopar Performance Roller Rockers
TransGo Shift kit w/ Amsoil Synthetic ATF
Monster Stereo System

See less See more
#3 ·
I am ready to try putting all the stock parts back on my truck other than the catback system to see if any milage comes back. I would hate to thing that making the engine breath easier would cause the milage to drop. If that is the case Dodge is doing some strange Sh!t and I would have to think about if I still want one of not.

#4 ·
Are you guys making that gas mileage without lift and tires?? I would expect something better from a stock truck. When my Dodge was factory height it made 14-16 mpg.

#5 ·
I am also taking my truck to the dealer for some TSB issues mainly the knocking or clonking sound under the driver side floor panel while at idol. the TSB said this only applies to truck made before may2000 but my truck was made in november 2000? i guess the problem has to do with the gear box, and says labor is only 30mins. the guys at the service dept. aint the nicest guys and i bet will give me a hard time about this, i printed out the TSB paper and see what they say, the warranty better cover this.

#7 ·
Hey Bill, I've got a question for you. Is your truck lifted? If you've increased your tire diameter, have you compensated for the mileage error? After I lifted my truck, yes I did notice a drop in fuel economy, but my odometer is also off. I went from 265/75/16 to 315/75/16 so I figured that my odometer is off approximately 10%. So when I fill up my truck, i'll add 10% of my mileage back on to check my fuel economy. By the way, I get about 13 in the city, and if i'm lucky i'll hit 16.5 on the highway. 5.9L w/auto trans and 3.92 gears...tailgate up.

#9 ·
Ian_Wallace,

My truck is an Off Road with all the stock Off Road stuff, 4.10s, 32 inch tires, Nothing real special.

canyonero02,

Thanks for the info. My Off Road still has the stock tires on it. I have a few mods which are listed in my signiture..
What is your version of taking it easy? Most of the time on the freeway I am doing 65. Once in a while I will do more but not constant.

I am going to reshedule my appointment till after I get a chance to remove or re-adjust my roller rockers.

#13 ·
nah. I stick with the real muscle.

'69 Dodge Charger, 440 with 10.5:1 compression, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads with slight porting. 292/298 .528"/.539" Crane hydraulic roller cam with Crane roller lifters, JE forged pistons, aluminum 143 tooth flywheel with 12" Weber clutch. Borg warner T-56 Transmission (Viper 6-speed), with an expensive one-off chunk of aluminum in front. Soon to be All wheel drive courtesy of a gmc cyclone front drivetrain.

Numbers are well above 500hp without nos. So far Ive done about 150 mph in 5th gear, but going that fast I start to run out of road.

#15 ·
A few posts ago you guys were talking about rattling under te driver side door, and something about the transmission. My '01 Ram did that same thing, it rattled at idle, and all it was was the transmission linkage was hitting something and rattling. have someone push the shifter up all the way and then tighten up the linkage. That worked for me, no more rattle at idle. Dodge would probably charge you 100 bucks.

#16 ·
Hawaiiluver, I've got a 1966 dodge coronet 500. It's got a 440, compcam comp 1.6 roller rockers, edelbrock single plane intake, milodon 7qt oil pan, ported/polished heads, tti headers, (real) dual exhasts with flowmaster 40's, rear is mini tubbed with BFG radials at all four corners. Mopar performance torsion bars, relocated ss leafs, a holley HP 950, MSD complete ignition system, holley electronic fuel pump, flaming river steering shaft, custom dash, and too many other expensive goodies to mention! THis car robbed me of many many paychecks! I took it to the strip, and without drag radials I pulled a 11.47! They told me if I used slicks, I'd have to come back with a cage!

#17 ·
I don't know how someone on the dodge forum is talking about having a mustang or camaro. It's MOPAR or NOCAR! Face it, the mustang was origionaly designed to be the tiny cheap affordable car. It's about the same size as a honda civic, and it came with a 289! Given the camaro was designed to feed the hunger of the younger hotrod people in '67, but if you put a stock '67 camaro, a stock '67 mustang, a stock '67 charger, and a stock '67 cuda.......the two mopars will come out way on top! And let's not even start talkin HEMI! Banned from NASCAR?????!?!?!?!?!

#18 ·
First of all you pulled a 3 year old post back from the dead AND you posted about something that has nothing to do with the topic. you also have to realize that just because we drive dodge trucks doesnt mean we dont like other makes

#19 ·
DUDE. SHUT THE HELL UP. I'm not even joking.

I cannot even make any hateful comments because I am at a total loss for words; your stupidity AMAZES me. You pull up a post from 2001 and rattle off some crap about blah blah blah my car is so fast blah blah and then you rag on somebody else for saying something about a Mustang in a Dodge forum?! Are you schizophrenic?!

May God have mercy on your soul.

#20 ·
On 2004-04-04 21:06, djgaston wrote:
DUDE. SHUT THE HELL UP. I'm not even joking.

I cannot even make any hateful comments because I am at a total loss for words; your stupidity AMAZES me. You pull up a post from 2001 and rattle off some crap about blah blah blah my car is so fast blah blah and then you rag on somebody else for saying something about a Mustang in a Dodge forum?! Are you schizophrenic?!

May God have mercy on your soul.

Amen to that! I think I'm going to kill myself now that I have had to suffer through reading all these posts from 2001 that have been brought back up :wall:

#21 ·
hey even though this post is 2 years old i have the same problem on my 2000 ram what is TSB by the way and how can i fix that clunking every 30 seconds or so underneath my floor it happens all the time whether the truck is warm or cold and it only does it at idle, and i let it idle alot since one of my hangouts is a parking lot at night with all my friends. You know the usual drink, watch a few street races, rev the pipes the usual thing, and o ya i hate rustangs chargers all the way i cant knock the 69-71 SS's though

#22 ·
Bro, there are DOZENS of TSB's for EVERY YEAR dodge. My old man has a service at his shop called AllData, they list all the TSB's for all the different makes and models - there is one whole CD Rom for Dodge trucks alone! You wouldn't believe all the crap that is wrong with these trucks.

And rustangs suck - anything aside from the real ones they made in the 60's with Shelby's imput. (I got a Shelby GT 350). You think Dodge's have problems, you should see all the crap wrong with Ford's. You know for a while there they had an intake that was half metal, half PLASTIC!!!!!! PLASTIC!!!!!! on the frigging intake. They break all the time and you can't fix them, have to buy a whole new intake. The 2005 models are going to be sweet - finally back to looking like a real American muscle car, no more crappy immitation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.