Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know what are the different trannys that were available on those trucks, since i think that once read on a magazine that some rams come with A518 trannys and others with the 46RE, and need to know which of them fails less, and what mods can be done to beef it up. I've read in a four wheeler mag that the A518 is a Torqueflite 727 with O/D, and you can beef it a lot.
Please give me information on this, because i'm very curious about.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The 46RE is the only tranny Ive seen in the 1500's except in the 2 wheel drive's, some of them came with a 42RE. Bye the way, in the tranny code the 1st digit(4) means the number of forward gears, the 2nd digit(6) is the tranny's strength rating from 1-9, the 3rd digit(R) means it is a rear wheel drive tranny and the 4th digit(E)means it shifts electronically.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
when i changed my tranny fluid and filter, i of course looked it up in the purolator book. it listed 2 trans for the 1500, the 46re and the 47re with a different filter for each.(the 46 had just a fiber filter and the 47 was fiber encased in metal) when i took my filter off i had to go back to pepboys to get the one they listed for the 47re trans. if this means anything other that the one they listed for the 47 costed me about $20 more, i dont know.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
When I changed the oil and filter, I bought the filter for the 46 RE, and when I installed, it doesn´t fit, then I changed for the filter of the A518, and it fits ok, so I beleive that my tranny is an A518, not a 46 o 47RE, I really don´t know what does it means, probably it is good or probably not. I will appreciate if someone can give me his advise on that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The 518 began use in the late 80's (basically a 727 with OD). It was renamed later to 46RH (H for hydralicly shifted). I'm not sure of the year, but in about the mid '90's, they switched to the "RE" trannies.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
It´s strange, because my truck is a 2000 Ram 1500, and the oil filter for my tranny is the one for the A518, and the filter for the 46RE won´t fit my tranny.

·
Registered
140 Posts
On 2002-03-28 10:36, HotChiliRam wrote:
It´s strange, because my truck is a 2000 Ram 1500, and the oil filter for my tranny is the one for the A518, and the filter for the 46RE won´t fit my tranny.
Hey HotChiliRam did your 15x10 Hellcats fit whithout grinding your brake calipers.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
They changed the filter in 2000 to go back to the same filter as the A518, for some unknown reason. I had the same problem. Purolator filters don't fit, but Wix do.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Okay, here is what I know about the trannies: 46RH was 94 and up 1500 Rams. 46RE was 98 and up Rams, until 2002, then it changed to a 45RE. 47RE is only available in the 3/4 ton and above, not a half-ton option. A518 is basically just another number for the 46RE, as is 727 Torqueflite. The transmission has just had a few different options put in it along the years making it slightly different, so they rename it with different numbers. That is basically all there is to it, the higher the year, the more advanced (supposedly) it is. But I would be one to argue with that...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts