Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had my lifters replaced a week and a half ago the knock was gone two days later started to return off and on now back to the way it was before any ideas or suggestions it is now at 3,000 miles

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is it just when your idling or can you hear it all the time? I have a knock sound when I'm idling and most of the time when my truck is cold. They told me it was my shift linkage vibrating, but after replacing that it still does it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does it while driving until you hit 35 to 40mph even does it in reverse or if you put it in gear and hit the gas with the brake on you can hear it going to stop by dealer today and complain this is the seventh time in there for the same thing its getting old fast.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Make sure (if you would) post the "findings" on what they suspect it is and if it fixes it. I have the same truck and have noticed some of the same noises. Like my shifter linkage is doing the knocking like most everyone elses. I took it to the dealer here and they said they would look it up and get back with me even though there is a TSB out on it. So in the mean time, they bent the linkage away from whatever it was knocking on, with a big screwdriver.

I think I hear a knocking sound from the engine area, which to me, sounds like lifters "tapping". But I am waiting until it gets louder or goes away before I take it in. Mine only has 5200 miles in it.

Thanks for the info and updates.

Airborne

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
This sounds like what my truck has been doing from about 3k miles until now (50K).

put it under load, between 1500-2500 rpm, and you get a knocking/taping/rattling sound?

Going up-hill with the TC locked up?

I'm thinking it's the cat-coverter, as do others. I'd have taken mine in to the stealer, but I just don't have the time, and it's a minor annoyance.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I now have noticed a slight putter type sound at about 2300rpm... didnt notice it before but I no longer drive with O/D so the rpms are up there a little and its kind of anoying... I dont see a crack in the Exhaust manifold, or any carbon build up at any of the joints... so I dont think its an exhaust leak... oh well... have to do some more looking around!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Got that one, too. :): Engines make such odd sounds...

Of course, I wouldn't be able to hear it if I wasn't in the middle of tearing out stereo stuff. My drive to/from work is quieter than normal...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i understand completely woody. i was extremely glad to have flowmasters or i would have had absolutely nothing to listen to. mine doesn't knock but it has a funny clatter especially climbing steep hills

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
That clatter I think is one of the two sounds my truck makes that I can't track the source of down, and for the $$ of being wrong, it can go ahead and keep making those sounds.

Justin, if you want to help daignose these sounds this coming weekend, lemme know, and I'll buy you a few beers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts