Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i'm curious, after my recent trip through L.A. to visit my grandparents, I realized I never want to move there. The reason...I don't go from 65mph to 0 quick enough. My question, How much of an improvement will stainless steel/braided steel brake lines make over the stock ones? I've heard that there is less flex in the steel brake lines which will help you stop sooner. Does anyone have steel brake lines on their Rams? I'd like some info on how much $$$ and how difficult it is to install them. Who makes the better brand? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Stainless steel braided lines will help in braking, but on a truck it won't make a huge difference because of the high center of gravity. You probably will feel a little more secure feeling when you press the pedal because the rubber isn't stretching. They do have rubber brake line inside the steel braiding (its just there to keep the rubber from stretching)

As for installing... I had to get bigger lines when I installed my lift, and on my '79 they were kinda hard to get off because of age... but on a newer truck it shouldn't be that hard. I have to recommend you get "tube" wrenches if you don't already. They are specialty wrenches that will grab the brake line fittings on all 6 sides so there is less chance of stripping them out. Becareful with them as the fittings are brass and really soft. After you loosen the lines you'll install the new steel ones and then tighten it all back up, fill your master cylander and then need to bleed the brakes out.

Russel makes good ones (had them on the Z-28 I used to own), but I bought the ones Skyjacker makes (cause I got the whole Skyjacker kit and just went with them). No complaints and I can feel a little more sure feel in the pedal now. Call or visit National Tire & Wheel's website to see the prices.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Whenever upgrading to bigger tires, the added weight puts a great deal of stress on the brake system. I haven't upgraded to steel braided brake lines yet, but it's on my "to do list"! I noticed that when coming to a stop, I need to brake earlier to compensate for the larger rubber! Stock brake lines have been known to balloon up due to the added weight of larger tires, added pressure from when sudden stops are required... :eek:: The steel braid keeps the rubber from ballooning, as Chris mentioned! :D:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts