Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those of you who have Toyota's I would like to offer something of a TECH section for any questions you might have. Before owning a Dodge, my Toyota experience goes something like this:
1985 Toyota 4WD 4" Lift, 2" body lift, 35's w/ 4.88 & lock-rights FRT&REAR, Straight Axle
1986 Toyota 4WD, 4" lift, 33's, IFS
1984 Toyota 4WD, 4" lift, 33's, Straight Axle
1982 Toyota 2WD, Reg Cab
1994 Toyota 4WD, Stock when purchased, added a 2" Downey Desert Runner lift w/High Travel rear suspension kit. Dual Shocks (Bilstein's) up front, engine upgrades.
I have done work on engines both carb & FI. I have dealt with both IFS suspensions and Straight Axle. If there is anything you might have a question about please feel free to ask!
LUV24BY

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey I am planning on doing an engine swap this summer. What size engine would you recommend, I have a 2.4 I-4 right now, I was thinking about a 4.3 V-6. Some people told me that was good for a toyota swap. I really want a V8 though. What do you think?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the delay in responding! I would definately go with the V-6, the 4.3. You can get the equal amount of HP and TQ out of it that you could achieve from the V-8. The engine is lighter and will allow more deversity when choosing the tranny. Downey makes ALOT of options to mate Turbo 350's, NV4500's, SM465's or even reusing your stock manual transmission. I have a buddy here in town that was able to easily reach 450HP+ from his 4.3 V-6.
LUV24BY

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Luv24By

Besides a lift/tires what upgrades would you suggest for a 98 tacoma v6.
Also what type of lift is the best out there?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Around last Sept or Oct. issue of 4-wheeler mag had 10 different lift kits for the tacoma and rated them all, you may want to check that out.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Personally I would suggest either a Fab-Tech or a Downey suspension system. I shop my systems by the engineering that is put into the design of the Lift. I don't mind spending the additional money to put something on that I know I can run the hell out of and it drives just as good getting back on the pavement as it does when I pulled off! Downey doesn't have a website to my knowledge, though you can find one of their adds in any of the major 4x4 mags. Fabtech does support the net and here is the site for Toyota:

http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/toyota/toyota.html

Make sure youcheck out the home page for Fabtech too, neat Fiberglass stuff that would look tight on a Toyota!

Anything else, lemme know!
LUV24BY

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Luv24by.

Do you know anything about Corn Fed Suspension. It's cheap and people on another forum say it's pretty good. What do you think?

·
Registered
83 Posts
hey tacoma dude i hear bad things about the rancho lift like bushings wearing out and rancho fluffing you off with it.

if you consider them youwill want to investigate

·
Registered
83 Posts
damn near any lift you prefer has its good and bads but im sure you will source them out pretty good.

one thing you need to consider is front cv shaft wear.

there are kits out there that beef up the shafts with heavier knuckles and better bearings and than there is a company that eliminates them altogether.

they use regular style u joints and splined mini driveshafts to replace the weak CVs

i cant remember who makes the heavy parts but it is downey that makes the replacement u-joint/driveshafts.

good luck eh

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey LUV24BY,

I have an '85 toyota pickup, with 4" of lift and 33's. I need some more power out of that little 4-banger (22R)! What would you suggest? I was thinging something along the lines of this: Headers, Weber 38 carb, valve job/port and polish, and aftermarked ignition. I was also planning to redo the rest of the exaust to 2" or 2.5" for the cat-back. I'm looking not for "massive" power, so I've kind of ruled out a 350. Is maybe finding a toyota V6 worth my while? (Since I can use that with my stock tranny) If so, which engine should I look into? I am a starving college student on a budget, so I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck! Any help would be great! Thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Also,
I just bought all the power steering stuff off a friend of mine and found out I need another pulley one the crankshaft. Can I just bolt another one on?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
C4 -
Well, if your on a budget - I look at it different ways.
1. You spend the money, say $1000 to upgrade your 22R and get some more performance out of it and be happy with the ratio of money to power gained.
2. You could call the junkyards/auto traders and find a Chevy 4.3 Liter V6 and get the adapter plate to bolt up to your manual tranny. If the cost is close to the same, you will get more power with a stock 4.3 than a built 22R. The 4.3 has the same bore and stroke as a V8 350, minus 2 cylinders. The 4.3 was mostly found in S-10 P/U & Blazers and some Full Size P/U's. The 4.3 is much lighter than the 350 and you don't torque out the drivetrain / frame too! Advance adapters sells the motor mounts and tranny adapter plates. In addition, you can stay with your gear ratio (if a 4.10) in the toyota axles and not have to gear up with the 22R - the 4.3 has the power to utilize the ratio, even with 35's (if you want to get them down the line!)
If I were in your shoes, I would list the upgrades & costs to the 22R and approx gain in HP & Torque. I would then list the cost to gain the 4.3, what the stock HP & torque are and find the best route. With getting the 4.3 you can have it on the side and do things to it little at a time and then drop it in. You have to also consider what Emission Standards there are in your state (if any.)
Hope this is helpful! I know a guy who had a build 4.3 in his 4Runner Rock Crawler who ended up with 375+ HP and like 350lbs of torque. That smokin' with those light Gross Vehicle Weight of the Toyota!!!
John

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great thanks! Can I use my stock transmission with the 4.3L V6? Is it going to be a pain to mount the V6? A friend on mine droped a 350 in his and had to add a body lift to make it fit. Or maybe could I find a Toyota V6 somewhere? Will that mount directly to my transmission?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am a$$uming that you have amanual 5 speed, right?! If so, that will mount up to the 4.3 - and as far as a body lift - wouldn't think you need to - smaller, lighter engine the V-6 is!
John

·
Registered
38 Posts
Alright thanks. Yeah I have the stock 5-speed manual in my toyota. Should I maybe look in to a toyota V6, will that mount directly to my tranny? Do you know what kind of gas mileage the 4.3L gets?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Don't mind if I stop in and offer the same~ Hope I qualify~ :smash: ***********************************
35' BFG KM's on Alcoa's (Look alikes) :wink:
6" lift with 2 body
Front Alcan springs center pin 1.5" forward With Orbit Eye's from AOR.
Rear Chevy Z-71 Springs 64"s
Now 3/4 Eliptic.. With 11" Revolvers(3/4 By rockware)
All-Pro High Steer
All-Pro Center Dual Case Crossmember
All-Pro E-Brake Disc conversion
Marlin #664 1:08:1 5:29's front and rear
Custom Front, Rear Bumpers and Nurf bars
Smitty Built Double/Double Rollbar, Converted Full Air Tank
Bobbed Flat bed, (By Rockware)
A/C Unit converted to Air Pump
Converted Air Blender, R&R
Chevy Front and Rear Drive Lines, with spares
W8274
Ready Welder