Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking at purchasing a gooseneck flatbed probably 32'. Question is should I get tandem duals or triple singles. It will be a multi purpose trailer. Hauling stuff on the farm as well as a skid steer for snow removal in the winter.

My thoughts are that the triple single will pull easier in deep snow and would be easier to change a tire on. The duals would be more stable and possibly turn easier.

The dealer I prefer recommends the triple singles and says they pull way easier not just in snow but all the time.

The dealer I don't like says the tandem duals are way more stable and the trailer is heavier duty(both are rated at 24,000lbs)

I have pulled a couple tandem duals but never a triple single any one that has towed both have any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I've pulled a triple single trailer before. It was nice, because the middle tire on one side blew. The front and rear axles held it up until I could get it to a tire shop, without damaging the rim. But the dual tandem will do the same. The biggest drawback that I've *heard* is the stress put on the rear-most axle. In one case, I *heard* of the shackles deforming and almost ripping the axle off. I look at it this way, all the semi trailers run dual tandems, why not you? If you've ever watched a triple single trailer turn, the back tires scrub and slide and slower speeds. My $.02 on it. (If I was looking for a trailer, I would go dual tandem by the way).

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
i am with jason ... i think the dual tandems would be better

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Well, 2 less tires on the triple single, however they will wear quicker due to tire scrub on corners.

What is the trailers weight, like if 24000 lbs. but one trailer weights less than the other if you will be loading to the max that might influence the decision. Doubt much difference though.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I went through the same decision a few months ago. I went back and forth and talked to a ton of dealers. I chose a dual tandem. Stability, weight capacities of the axles themselves and bigger/heavier duty brakes.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
superhawk2002 said:
I went through the same decision a few months ago. I went back and forth and talked to a ton of dealers. I chose a dual tandem. Stability, weight capacities of the axles themselves and bigger/heavier duty brakes.
The triple single ends up with 3 7000lbs axles or 2 10,000 for the tandem three sets of braks on the triple and two on the dual. There is a lot of tire scrub on the tandem dual as well, or any dually for that matter. I have heard the stability both ways, as the dually distributes the weight inward and the tri distributes it forward and rearward. I suppose people give the dually a stability advantage just from seeing a larger contact area

I though about the semi aspect as well. But on a semi you are closer to 50% tongue weight instead of the 15-20% you would run on a gooseneck

Turns out you cant get the low-profile in a triple single so that might be the deciding factor for me. I just wish I could find two the same otherwise and test pull them just to see. I really can't believe the triple single would pull that much easier on dry ground, but maybe in snow.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
how often are you really going to be towing in the snow .... is that i huge part of what the trailer will be doing .... i mean around here we might have 5 or 6 days a year where there is actual snow on the road that you have to drive through after that they are generally cleared

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The actual number days I couldn't tell you for sure so far this year, a dozen or so I suppose. I have been stuck once this year with my current trailer (tandem singles), and had to unload. Just about every time I pull in and out of my yard. We live out of town so the wind really gets our road bad even when it doesn't snow. I am not sure the dually wouldn't be fine on snow also, it may float a little more, but then again that is a lot of weight in one place for it to float.

I am still curious about the one dealers comment that the triple singles pulls easier going down the road. And I think it is funny that the two dealers seem so opposite, oh and they both sell PJ trailers.

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
So do you really need a trailer that big? Are you really going to need a trailer to tow 24,000 lbs? my 30' dual single gooseneck is rated around 16K. I have towed it at the max, and it seemed to do fine.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RamAford said:
So do you really need a trailer that big? Are you really going to need a trailer to tow 24,000 lbs? my 30' dual single gooseneck is rated around 16K. I have towed it at the max, and it seemed to do fine.
We will probably load it close to that a few times around the farm. It will be used to tend our sprayer hauling water and chemical to the field. Even with the skid on there, we have about 7k for the skid, a couple buckets and the snow blower. we are over 10,000 of load. A tandem single weighs in around 4k or so and usually rated at 14-16k so that doesn't leave much cushion there.

Partially looking for the 24,000 because you don't see many of the lighter ones around. So for resale the 32' 24,000 is a good choice, alot of people around here haul hay on them.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RamAford do you mind sharing details on your trailer?

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Heres the only picture i can find since im at work, and all my others are loaded at home.

Its a Load-Max brand. 21ft deck and 5ft dovetail with fold up ramps and the dovetail lifts up to make a flat deck. Its rated for 16K. I know we have had it loaded with around 17,000 once, and it worked flawless. Never had any problems, just a few flat tires from nails and such.

Another from last year in harlan, ky.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice trailer. Do you have any trouble with the bed contacting the gooseneck arms? Would you mind measuring the hight to the arms, when level, over say the tailgate and maybe your closed tailgate hight. I am trying to decide if I need to go 6" extra tall on the gooseneck rise or not. The dealer seems to think I am right on the edge of needing that. The ones I have looked at are right around 60" I am not sure of my tailgate hight.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
I thought the same thing to. I almost bought a trailer with a 6" or a 12" riser. After seeing Matt's truck a few times and talking to the dealer I finally bought a trailer from, it simply is not needed if your lift is 5" or less. Just keep on eye on any off camber places you might go. I know Matt has had that trailer half way through the Black Mountains and back and has had no issues.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have pulled a couple both have been PJ's I think. Which is what I am looking at. Neither was a problem but it will get used in some pretty camber stuff, pulling in and out of fields through ditches etc... I just never paid that close of attention with the ones I had rented to see how close they got, I only used them on the street, but it would at least have given me an idea.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
2WD truck or 4WD? Lifted? Pulling in and out of fields should not be an issue. Making a hard turn on a twisting offcamber mountain pass out of a field may be. :D

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Ive never had any issues with the trailer touching the bed or tailgate. But then again, ive had it in a few off camber places in the mtns and tight spots around here. No issues, but with running 5" of lift and 35's, it has been close a few times. The neck is adjustable, and that helps alot. If i had more of a stock heigth truck, it wouldnt be an issue. But from my tailgate the the bottom of the arms, its around 8". Ive got the same amount of clearance on my toyhauler as well, and its a gooseneck. I can get ya some pics of it if you want. But its pretty much a flatbed trailer with a camper body on it.

But if your gonna be in real off camber places, a riser might be your best bet. at least 6". I can say, this trailer i have, has worked great. Its even totaled an F250 :) i will post those pics in a few.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry I didn't realize my signature was not showing up. 2000 3/4 ton with 3" and 35's. No mountains around here, ND. But our roads aren't the best by the farm. coming out of the field onto the road can get pretty crossed up. I'll have to take some measurements.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts