Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know if those tailgate nets even save you much gas mileage ??? if so how much???

Brett

·
Registered
502 Posts
Some people will try and tell you that they don't but I think they will on the Dodge.
I know that with my tailgate up I get a whirle wind in the bed that will lift things and move them towards the cab. I had a bed net on one day while moving some stuff and had some couch cushions in back and on the free way one of the damn things started to hover. if it wasnt for the net it would have blown out.

You can always buy one and try it for a week or two then send it back if you don't see a difference.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
What about just driving with it down, then drive with it up, then compare your gas mileage between the two? :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
There is a difference between driving with the gate down and without it at all. Has a lot to do with the smoothing of the air flow over the truck and turbulence behind it. The gate down provides more horizontal surface for the air from teh top to become horizontal and results in muc more laminar flow. No gate at all (or net instead) limits the amount of surface the air has to stabilize and thus causes more turbulence and lower milage.

An eningeering student did a test once with a scale model of a Ram in a water flow test. Tested with gate up, gate down, no gate, cap, and simulated cap that goes from top of cab stright downto top of gate.

No gate had slightly more drag than gate up (air pressure built in bed and the rest of the air was able to flow over it and off the back). Gate down was better than gate up, then the cap and finally the sloped cap had best results.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then its settled......

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
when i had the nissan i had gotten better mileage with the teksport soft tonneau.
this past summer my cousin and i went up to canada. we drove his 2000 dak 4.7 4wd auto. on the way back with food and pop gone and his uncles crap in his uncle's car i got it as high as 20.5 on the overhead console. he has a soft tonneau as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts