Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really run my truck in 4wd on the road or at faster speeds very often, but I was yesterday and today with the snow. Anyways, I hadn't noticed it before, but now I'm getting a vibration and noise that sounds like it is coming from the t-case when I'm in 4wd, and I'd like to figure out what is making the noise before it becomes a big deal. The 4wd still works, it just kinda vibrates a lot and is pretty noisy (more than normal) when engaged. It also takes a while longer to come out of 4wd, and usually clunks pretty hard when it does. I'm thinking possibly a bad output bearing or something like that. What do you guys think??? Anything obvious to check for???

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
C'mon... nobody??? :roll:

The vibration sounds like t-case, but I wonder if the clunk and slow disengaging is CAD related. The other post on here got me wondering now.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
u joints, does it go away when u engae 4hi? well if its being loud in 4x4 then maybee its the case.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
check the fluid in the case
that would make it louder and harder to shift

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Noise is there when it is engaged in 4wd. I'll try to check the d-shaft this week, but I doubt it is u-joints. I replaced them with Spicers about a year and a half ago. I'll check them though. I'm thinking it is actually in the t-case, but I don't know for sure. I'll try to check the fluid level too.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked the u-joints, and the front driveshaft (axle end) u-joint is toast. I grabbed it and yanked on it pretty hard, and one of the caps is busted. I got a new one, and I'm gonna put it on in a few minutes. The other u-joints (on the driveshafts) seemed fine though. Hopefully that is where all the noise and vibration was coming from.

I still plan on checking the t-case fluid level too. Does it share fluid with the tranny, or is it separate??? My tranny was about 3.25qts low. :eyecrazy: I just filled that up and everything seems fine there now. This thing breaks more from sitting than anything else. Strange stuff happens when it sits.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts