Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '99 ram has 60K on it and I am wondering if I should use a synthetic oil or not. What do you guys think. I plan on keeping the truck a long time so I want to take care of it. If yes, what kinds do you recommend. What kind of change intervals are you looking at with synthetic. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
probably the best method for a switch-over would be to change it to Mobile-1, Redline, or the like. Then after 3K, change it again (expensive, I know). Then starting at 3K, take a sample of oil every 1K and send it to:

<!-- BBCode u1 Start -->http://www.blackstone-labs.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u1 End -->

They will send you back a VERY details analysis, and basically tell you when to change it. If you don't off-road, and aren't in a super dusty environment, you may be able to get 6k-7.5k out of a change of oil.

With the synthetic, what you mainly worry about is the filter clogging up with contaminants, and then going into bypass.

You might need to change filters at 3-4K, but able to run the same oil for 6-9k. Depends on your particular environment and engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts