Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished adding 2 more inches to my 96' Dodge 1500. Everything went smooth except for this. I ordered a Sky Jacker front sway bar drop down bracket which went on fine, but when I went to install my new dual stabilizer bracket I realized the two brackets set side by side and there is zero room for the bolt that attaches the Sky Jacker dual stabilizer bracket to the frame. I find this to be absolutely ridiculous. At any rate I have to wait untill Monday to see what National Tire has to say about this. In the meantime I was wondering how many of you remove your front sway bar completely. I would would prefer to keep mine but wanted to know what the ups and downs are of removing it.

Thanx,
Topper

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I am not running mine right now. As long as the suspenion is not too soft, you will experience a little more lean during cornering, but not much. If it is soft, then you can expect more.

I am used to mine now riding without it. First time since the SSRs and 3" body lift. Used to run all the time without it when it was just 33's and 3" suspension.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Jason, I've thought about taking mine out for the spring but I have a couple of questions. How much more flex or wheel travel do you actually get? Considering these are fullsize trucks and not Jeeps. Also I remember someone saying when they flexed out the front suspension without the swaybar one side of the truck sat 1" lower afterwards.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
i had a lot of wobble in my front end with out it. i also have the d60 with more weight.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Never had a problem before with mine off. Prior to installing my RS5000s, I go several more inches of wheel travel out of the front end. Also the truck stayed closer to level when crossing up the axles. Much easier driving.

The new rs5000s are shorter than I expected. I bought the ones for the 2-3" lift and they barely give me any drop. I need to look into which ones they gave me and which ones I want/need.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I've freed up LOTS of inches of travel, and the feeling is a bit spooky at first when off-road, the truck is just level until you REALLY start tweaking things up.

But if you're getting wobble problems it might be the steering stab or the track-bar. The sway-bar would have _some_ effect on side-side movement of the axle, maybe just enough to keep the vibrations minimal with it connected.

But with the sway-bar off the on-road ride is MUCH better. Smoother, and bumps that only hit one tire don't jostle the truck at all.

I'm running my RS9000s at 3 in teh front, and only notice the body lean on a few turns, which are pretty hard turns, long turns, and taken at 45 mph or so. Twisty mountain road kinds of turns. But also off-camber... I leaned on that curve even with the bar in place.

I keep the bar on the truck, and the end-links hanging out of the way, but with the tools (15mm socket) to put it back on the truck safely stowed in the cab. If I ever decide I need it, it will take 5 minutes to put it back.

Essentially, we have quick disconnects (at least on teh later models).

BTW, I'm running 35" MTRs, and have no problems except extra rubbing do to being able to stuff the tire a lot more.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Does it make a difference if the sway bar is tottaly removed or just disconnected?

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Disconnecting both end or removing it completely are the same. If you are goingot keep it off, it is easier to jsut pull it all together instead of having to keep it wired up (bailing wire to keep the ends up near the frame) and out of the way and worry about it falling.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
My bushings were so tight that it hasn't moved since I disconnected it, I just pushed the ends up next to the frame-rails. I keep an eye on it, and it hasn't moved.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Aaron, give it a few thousand more miles and it won't be self supporting :):

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I say, take it off! I finally got brave and disconnected mine, and I love it! People get scared on the road whenever they see me take a corner, they think the truck is going to flip over! It is much more fun to drive without it. Plus the added benefits of mucho more flex offroad...just take a look at my website, and see how much I get...I fully extend the shocks, and if I had longer shocks, I could get more out of the front end!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Jason,

You're probably right... But for now I'll keep an eye on it.

I still don't want to fully commit.

·
Registered
923 Posts
That was me that my truck fell an inch on the driver's side. I put it back on, hard to tighten the bolts, reason why it leveled back out. Not the swaybars fault, my springs are soft on that side I guess.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The trucks have a 1" max height difference spec from the factory... They often ship with springs that are rated for an extra 100lbs on one side or the other. Don't remember which is the heavy side, but I think it's the driver's. You've got the battery, driver, and fuel-tank on that side, and not a lot to offset it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts