Off Road Vehicles banner

Sway bar is comin off!

1K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Outlaw Ram 
#1 ·
I'm finally takin my sway bar off tommorow. I'm just not getting the flex i want out of the front cause its way too stiff. I was wondering if anyone here leaves there sway bar off their fullsize truck for an extended period of time? I'm prepared for some excess body roll around corners but i don't think its anything i can't get used to.

#2 ·
You will be in for a huge surprize on that first turn you go around a little too fast and you feel like you are going to tip. Cause I about crapped myself going through the back roads and took a turn like i had my swaybar on and it scared me. I have leaf springs so your's will give a little more than mine. But I guess it is just my driving style.

#3 ·
My truck doesn't sit level with the swaybat off. THat's okay I guess but I didn't like it. It will scare you on the first turn. It also depends on how tall your truck is. I have 7 soon to be 10 inches of lift w/38" tires. You couldn't pay me to drive it now w/o the sway bar. It may give you more flex, but I didn't/don't need to flex to drive through two feet of solid mud.

#4 ·
I have been running with mine off for a while now. Windy mountain pass roads to work and the trails. No problems. It will take you a few days to figure out the way it handles, but nothing to worry about. Just take it easier around the corners.

#7 ·
If you want flex Off Roading and don´t want to over turn your truck on street, Why don´t you get the sway bar quick disconnects?. That way the truck will handle as ussual on street and on off road you disconnect the sway bar and WELCOME FLEXING!!!!!!! :):

#8 ·
I haven't seen any quick disconnects available for the Dodge, only for jeep. Do you know of any place that has quick disconnects for dodge?

#9 ·
You can see in the web page http://www.skidplateoffroad.com , the red Ram has sway bar quick disconnect, maybe you can email him to ask where does he get them. Maybe the ones that he has are not made for Ram´s but maybe some will fit. Anyone knows??

#11 ·
Little more info...
http://www.jksmfg.com

I beleive the part number I used was #2001. At any rate it was for a XJ. They are very long, but I already had skyjacker sway bar spacers in. I removed the skyjacker spacers and put in the end links. The two together gave me about a 15 deg sway bar angle which is great. They come with mount tabs that allow you to connect your endlinks to your frame when you have the bar disconnected. They even have grease zerks. I can tell the difference in corners when they are connected. Real stiff.

Matt

#12 ·
Well I just took the sway bar off today and all I can say is wow! I'm suprised how much it limited the flex in the front axle. Body roll wasn't too bad, but it will take some getting used to.

#13 ·
I took mine off and I can't notice that much difference...I've got the dual shocks up front, so that may keep the body roll to a minimum...but it does make a whole lotta difference out on the trail...your tires stay on the ground which means more traction, and not to mention nice flex! :D:

#14 ·
Yeah I agree, the body roll hasn't been as bad as i thought it was gonna be. I don't really see myself putting it back on in the near future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.