Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fan clutch was bad. Noticed the fan blades wobbling while it was running when getting ready for my smog.

It had a bunch of play in it. The fan moved but the nut didnt, so it was the clutch bearings, not the water pump.

Tried to get that thing off... Book says its only torqued to 42lb-ft, just stick a screwdriver between the pulley bolts and use a large wrench to loosen the nut. No problem.. WRONG!

Bent 2 large screwdrivers, went out and bought one of those new fangled strap wrenches. Says right on the package as one of the uses, HOLD PULLEYS WHILE LOOSENING ENGINE PARTS. Figured cool, this will work. After three tries at getting the nut off, it broke. At least it has a lifetime warranty.

Decide to go Harbor Frieght and buy a big-ass adjustable wrench. 16" version....

Grab ahold of three pulley bolts (one on each jaw and the third on the adjustment section), took large vise-grips and locked the adjustable plier handles tight, set the 16" cresent wrench on the nut, got out the 3lb sledge and beat it about 3 times. Pop, off it came....

'Bout friggin time! Even tried Liquid Wrench to no avail....

All back together and working great. Will drive it tomorrow to see if the occasional coolant temp spikes still occur, but I doubt they will return. Fan no longer wobbles and runs much quieter now.

Tech write-up to follow.. one of these days

<!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.pavementsucks.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

<!-- BBCode Start -->mailto:[email protected]<!-- BBCode End -->

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
you really dont want a flex fan. they suck. go with either a clutch fan, or and electric.

i think when i pulled mine off, i used a large pry bar that i got from harbor freight. like $10 for a set of 5. i dont even know how many times i have used them now. a very good investment.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Stick with the fan clutch! Electric will not cool properly! You can add an electric for additional cooling, for like when your running a trail in 4 low on a hot sunny day. The electric will help them, but not as a sole cooler.
As long as the fan clutch is working and your radiator and water pump (proper mix of coolant too!)are in good condition, you should have no cooling issues.
Does everyone know the relationship between the fan clutch and the radiator, how they really work together? I learned the hard way.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The the thermostatic resitor (or whatever it is called) at the front of the fan clutch gets warm it heats the silicon in the clutch and causes the clutch to "engage" and spin the fan at engine speed, otherwise it just free wheels with some input from the water pump.

That is why you are not supposed to lay the clutch on is back (nut/shaft down) as the fluid will leak out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ive always hated fan clutches until i got my dakota.it has one big nut in the middle.i replaced it just after hollister. all i had to do was secure the clutch,give the wrench a whapp with a rubber mallet,and off it went.
it was kinna nice not having bloody knuckles afterwards.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts