Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright heres the question i got a friend with a 98' ford f-150 4x4(his ram 2500 got totaled in a flood and the cab was ruined). He wants to put 33x15.50r15 super swamper tsl sx's. How big of a lift do yall think he would need. I dont really think a 3" lift would do for that wide of a tire but then again i dont know anything about fords.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well that tire isn't that tall (only a 33) but 15" wide on a 33 is gonna call for a rim with good backspacing. A 3" lift will clear the height but the tire will stick out quite a ways.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Those tires look stupid, I see them on jeeps all the time, they look wider than they are tall. I think people with jeeps have impaired judgement, tell your buddy to rethink it. Sorry, Not you though ZJ.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
oh yeah ive seen em on alota jeeps too...look like those mexicans( not racist)who turn thier wheels around to make their tires stick out alot..lol tell em it is gonna look terrible and convence him to get either 33x12.50 or if he wants a 15 wide then at least 35's

·
Registered
683 Posts
I don't know ya'lls opinion of the sx's, but mine is they definately suck in the mud. I've seen two different sets (the 33x15.50's and the 31x13.50's) on two different Toyota's. They have what we like to call the "snowball effect." The more they roll the bigger they get. Even at high tire speeds they don't clean at all. Just my 2 cents. I will give them this, the sidewall is very strong. One of them got a flat and ran on it down the interstate at no air pressure without a problem.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Another thing I've picked up about the sx's from these two Yotas is that running them on the road seems like they are literaly vibrating the trucks apart. I wouln't run them on a daily driver. One sold his and bought boggers and the other sold his and got the BFG KM's.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
TSL SX's are a heavy bias ply tire. They are goingto suck on the road and are extremely difficult to balance and keep balanced.

However, they have the toughest sidewall out there. Most hardcore rock crawlers prefer them just for their flexible yet super strong sidewalls.

I can't beleive that they suck in the mud. Sounds like the Toyota's that had them didn't have the motor to spin them to keep them clean. Like I said, they are a heavy tire. The tread design is the same as the TSL (regular and radials) and those work well in th emud.

·
Registered
683 Posts
You would think they would do good in the mud. The tire speed wasn't much of a problem. I sat there and watched one Yota go threw 4 gears in 4 high and 3 in low. That didn't help much either but even easing out of the clutch he wasn't moving. He tried everything to get out. The 33's had 4.88 gears turning them and they still didn't clean. Like you said, Jason, they have the same tread as a TSL and TSL's do good in the mud. I'm not sure, but I think the TSL's are a little flatter on the bottom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts