Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck already has the factory 3in lift on it. Looking at the prices of some of the Susp. lifts- would it be better to put a body lift on to have about 6in. of lift or go with a 5" susp lift for a lot more $$$$ ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think suspension is always better then body, even though most of the time it is more expensive, I'd go with the suspension if you don't mind the money.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well, what if you go with a suspension and a body? Wont raising the body allow you a better angle of approach and angle of descent?

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
IT will help in clearing the rear bumper on on an approach but as far as the front bummper the frame horns stick about 3" down after the body lift. But being able to run bigger sneakers b/c of the body lift will help :):

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'm just going to clarify something here, since I think it's been overlooked somewhat.

From the factory, there's a 3" block under the rear springs. That's not a lift. That's always there.

The only thing close to a "Factory" lift is the Offroad package, which is from 1.5-3" higher, depending on the truck.

You're best bet is with a suspension lift. You'll get more travel, and more flex, and probably a better ride out of the deal.

A 3" Rancho lift works well, and is pretty cheap (I have one). And it adds an add-a-leaf into the rear springs, in addition to the block back there from the factory.

With the Rancho lift, you can run 33s with not problem, and 315/75R16s if you also run the right backspacing with a 16x8" wheel. The American Racing Bajas are in this category. (4.5" or so of B/S, I beleive).

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
i have a body lift on mine and i really wish now i would of waited for a suspension but with my situation i had at the time that was kinda my only option. ya it ill cost a heck of a lot more now but in the long run youll be glad you did it

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with a body lift. I have one, and I wheel my truck HARD sometimes, and have NEVER had a problem with it. As long as you install it correctly, you should never have a problem with it.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Think about the leverage those hellacious long bolts are putting against your mounts every time you flex. In my opinion body lifts should be used as a last resort and only if you don't mind risking ripping your mount completely out of the body, which by the way beast, I saw happen down in Moab. That is the reason I have opted to remove mine. I would rather sit a little lower and save my body than risk tearing the hell out of my 30+k investment.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
As long as you keep your rubber body mounts in good shape, you should never have a problem with a body lift. The rubber mounts will flex more than enough to counter any additional stresses on the bolts or cab.

I have had zero problems with my bodylift. I flex my truck all the time to the point of being on three wheels.

I admit there is always the possibility of something breaking, but it is very rare. You just happened to be there when it happened. What type of rig did you see break at Moab? What was the condition of the body mounts? I am not trashing on you or anything, I am jsut curious.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
No offense taken Jason, the truck was a Chevy and it tore out the mount on the back of the bed next to the rear bumper. It seemed to be in pretty good shape and was a nice truck. I agree with you that the rubber mounts will absorb a lot of flex, but there are no rubber mounts on the bed of the truck. It is bolted directly to the frame. I too flexed my truck to the point of being on three wheels as well and after seeing what happened to that truck my mind was changed. It's just something I don't want to risk on my brand new 2001.

35/15.50-16.5 Swamper SX's on Weld Wheels
Line-X Bedliner

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Well, that is an isolated case, and I have never seen any problems with them. The bed I can understand, due to the fact that they are not rubber mounted, but, you take chances whenever wheel offroad anyway. I always make sure EVERYTHING is tight before and after a wheeling trip, that way I have piece of mind. After all, it is a 2000 model Truck that I want to keep for awhile, right punkineater? :wink:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
True, true. We all take risks when wheeling and the risks are always there. I won't put anyone down for using a body lift and 99% will never have a problem. Just a personal choice. By the way Beast how do you like those bogger tires? My SX's ride like a freaking tank. I have equal in them and have had people attempt to balance them as well with no luck. Anyone have any secrets or do I just live with it until they wear out?

35/15.50-16.5 Swamper SX's on Weld Wheels
Line-X Bedliner

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The Boggers actually don't ride that bad...when the flat spots go away. My set actually balanced out okay, but they did need over 16 oz. for three of them, and the forth only required 14oz. But they actually ride better than the standard TSL-style tread pattern...which is what the SX tread pattern is like. I totally recommend them, but for rock crawling, you have the best tire, as the side wall strength is superior to my Boggers. I LOVE the way they look as well...people get scared and get out of the way REAL quick whenever they hear me roaring up to them... :wink:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Hey Beast, how many miles do you have on your body lift? I'm thinking of getting one, it's cheaper than a whole new lift. I need more room since three inches limits my truck a bit one where I can go (Frank Raines)I've seen Jason B's truck in action and it works really well. I don't see the problem with the body lift except according to a few people it's a pita to install.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Not really, the only hard part is the tranny linkage arm has to be lengthened with the little spacer provided in the kit, and that requires some welding, that is the only hard part. I have about 10,000 miles on the body lift, give or take, didn't really take an odometer reading when I installed the lift. (Plus me and my buddies were drinking some beers, so it was not a high priority...LOL!) :wink:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts