Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a guy who is suppose to help me put body lift and suspension lift in my truck....is this easy or?? he seems very confident he can do this in a matter of a weekend......im gonna be there to help him but pretty much will be his gopher as ive never done put in any suspension lift.... can we do all this in a weekend and be ready to go... or do ya think we will run into unseen problems is this a good idea???

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
you dont have to buy the rear bumper location kit its not needed. take the bumper off. remove the 2 brackets that are bent on an angle like a gusset, the 2 remaining ones that are straight flip sides with those. left to right and right to left. this will bring the bumper up to normal height.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im in west michigan

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
hell im going up to the kalamazoo/paw paw/gobles area next weekend. havent decided if im going to take the pig or the wifes blazer.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
It took me about 8 hours to do the install on my truck. But that included taking the parts off another truck and swapping them to mine.

The biggest time-saver for us was having the right tools. 1/2"-drive breaker-bar in the 15-18"-long range, a good set of metric deep-well 1/2" drive sockets, and an impact wrench. I would have hated to do the same install with all hand-tools...

We were using an air-driven impact wrench and ratchet. Made things a LOT easier.

We put two people on each truck, and shared the tools pretty easily.

A weekend sounds doable, but I thought that the body-lift required some custom fabrication involving the shift linkages?

·
Registered
213 Posts
It took me about 8hr to do a 3" rancho on my '96 (that included dinner and beer time, also with the wife asking whats that for EVER 5 MINUTES). The 3" body lift took about 4 hours (also including beer time).

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wel hope this goes well ive never put in a lift before!!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
ramraptor
let me know what lift and how it goes as well as anything else that might be helpful to know. will be installing a 3 inch lift myself this summer

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
It's not too hard to do. The transmission shift linkage will have to have a 3" piece welded into the linkage for the body lift. That is mandatory. To get at the shift linkage real easy, remove the inner fender liner on the driver's side and it is right there. Also don't forget to check to make sure the wiring harnesses on the chassis to the body have enough slack in them. I encountered that problem when I did mine. The suspension lift shouldn't be too hard, takes about 10 hours to do, dependent on which size and make; Body lift about 3 hours max. I would do them separately, though, you might be making things hard on yourself to do a body lift AND suspension lift all in the same day. Working on suspension components in the dark is no fun...I recommend purchasing the rear bumper brackets for the body lift as well, makes life easier and only costs about $40.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well im all set to go 5" skyjacker and 3" body with super swamper 36" on weld wheels! hope this goes well!trcuk only has 12,000 miles on it!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
first time I ever did a lift it took my and my brother in law about 8 hours to do a 3in body including dinner. take your time it didn't even seem that long.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
On 2003-02-04 17:18, mudpuppy wrote:
first time I ever did a lift it took my and my brother in law about 8 hours to do a 3in body including dinner. take your time it didn't even seem that long.

dude...this is an old thread....he did that to his truck about a year ago...haha its cool though :silly:

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Took me forever and a day to install my TM lift. Freakin' brackets didn't line up and had to "make" it work. :cuss:
Now that it's done....it's great, but would probabily get a different lift next time...Of course, doing it alone was real fun...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've installed both myself. It's very easy. Having access to a lift shure makes life much easier (still wish I had one) :smash:

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I've got a lift..It's called jack stands on 4x4's....with a floor jack...wish it was automatic.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
On 2002-02-22 07:18, UdeLuz wrote:
You can VERY EASLILY put the suspension AND body lift on in 1 day..
Just get up early... And save the beer until after the job is done...

(Dont forget to buy the rear bumper relocation bracket, (it does not come with the kit)

Where do you live?

lol very easily...lol yeah, Expect little broken parts and shops not to have replacement ones. If you have a lift, and all the tools and a couple firends you may get it done in a day, may get it done, expect small problems. It took me almost 3day just to do my suspension, but i did everything right.

·
Registered
266 Posts
because it allows people like me to add on to their post collection without providing any real information

1 - 20 of 22 Posts