Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the most part, I believe that the Dodge lifts are a bolt on affair, with the exception of the track bar. I have been told that those trucks should take a full weekend or so to install the lift, if you have an experienced friend with good tools help ya out. I know the lift on my Bronco was 3 days of pure hell, for two people, one of them being an ASE certified mechanic, with airtools, but it saved me a 1000 bucks or so on labor. Besides, if you don't know much about your truck, installing the lift will help you learn alot about how things operate under there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Its pretty easy to do...i just did my 2001 ram 1500........

about 5hrs to do, frt and rear...

Just watch on the trackbar...tghe rear will shift about 3/4 of an inch, making impossible to realign the bolt..

i used the forklift at work to pull the rear back into place....

good luck

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Mine was about 10 hours start to finish, but we were pulling the lift off of one truck, to put on another. We had two people per truck. More only gets in the way, unless you can get the whole truck up on stands at once, and two do the front, and two do the rear.

I used an 8' 4x4 post to help compress the leaf-springs after I had clamped them, to removed the clamps, and again when I re-clamped them later. This is for when you take apart and put the spring-packs in the rear back together after you add an add-a-leaf.

I'd say 5-8 hours is pretty good, with a new truck and all the parts actually there.

But plan a whole weekend, and alternate transportation in case something goes wrong. Since you're truck isn't fresh off the assembly line, expect problems. Especially if you're in an area that salts in the winter.

Soak everything in wd-40, each night for 2-3 nights before the planned day to do the work. If you have air-tools, they will be a HUGE help. I'd have hated to do mine without them.

I'd also make sure that you have all the bolts that the instructions say, and check that you have every size socket you need.

Shouldn't be any problems beyond stuck bolts that need wd-40 and impact-wrench persuation to come off. Don't forget a set of easy-outs in case you shear a bolt.

However, I'm trying to figure out how the track-bar and the rear-end are related? We didn't bother disconecting my track-bar, but I didn't have a relocation bracket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts