Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recieved my 2.5 in daystar spacers and as eager as I am to put them on I was planning on waiting until I purchased a rough country suspension lift. The question is Can I put the 2.5 inch daystar spacers on in addition to the rough country 3 inch lift which i belive has 3 inch springs up front and 2.5 in blocks out back. Would this cause any problems? If so are there any kits out there that would allow me to use both the spacers and the suspension lift. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
since the springs are designed to work with the stock setup, and the spacers are designed to work the same way. it will work. the only thing that people will tell you is that it limits flex. it doesnt limit flex per say, but if you compare a 3" coil + 2" spacer to a 5" coil then yes the 5" will have more travel, but the spacer doesnt "limit" the travel. i would say, if you already have the parts, go for it. it cant hurt.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
you are gonna need upper control arms for sure with five and a half inches of lift.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Yeah you might come into a problem with your bumpstops hitting your spindles both me and rambrdr had that problem. I just cut my bump stops off. where as Rambrdr took the lift off his trck.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
ahh yes and new longer braklines.

·
Registered
134 Posts
your gonna have to get new control arms definitely. I just have the spacers and its thrown the steering geometry off, so i cant imagine what the springs would do too. Instead of coils, you could get new 3.5 inch spindles for roughly the same price i believe. someone correct me if i am wrong, but i am pretty sure the spindles dont affect steering geometry or ride quality. Another option would be this: At http://www.truckperformance.com, they have a fabtech 2wd kit that has 3 inch coils, new control arms, 3.5 inch spindles, shocks and a rear kit. Thats 6.5 inches, youd have everthing you need

285/75/16 Bridgestone A/T's.
Sony CD, Pioneer speakers, 2 Rockford 10's
(next mod is to remove spacers and install Fabtech 3 inch kit)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses men, I think I'll wait to get a suspension lift and then put it all on at the same time. Would the bump stops contacting the spindles be a problem on road or off road and what would it lead to? Thanks

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
it will limit your travel in your suspension, this can really hurt handling on and off road. It will also make the ride a little more harsh because you will be riding on hard rubber that was designed to stop the movement instead of the spring and shock that are designed to absorb it. what i think will happen is the ride will be similar to riding in a lowered car that was not lowered right (the ones that you see bouncing around every time they hit a little bump in the road).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahhh all these negative comments, Ok well since im just a rookie, Everyone tell me what the most economical way to lift my suspension enough to clear 33 inch tires, And I would like to keep body lifts as a last resort, what do you all recommend?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I went with the fabtech 3" lift kit which includes the 3" coils, upper control arms, rear block kit and 4 shocks. This allowed me to run 33s. I ordered the 3.5" lift spindles about 3 weeks ago but its going to be another 2 weeks before I receive them. I have a set of 35/12.50/15s Pro Comp all terrains mounted on 15 x 8 Weld sidewinders waiting to go on. The wait for the spindles is just killing me!

I should note that I have to change the rear shocks when I go to the 3.5 lift spindles to make room for the 4" block kit in order to level the truck.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So Rambrdr If i got the fabtech 3.5 inch spindles I could clear 33's, so If i threw the spacers into the mix could I clear 35's, or instead of the spacers a body lift?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
ok wow ive missed this topic. Your 2.5 inch spacers will not throw the steering geometry off i called rough country and they said it DOES NOT affect the steering. all you need is to get your truck alinged after the lift is on.
Rambrdr where are you getting your information? And have you had any expierence with lift kits before besides your spacers on your truck? Be careful what info your giving out if you have no expierience on these things?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I run my truck pretty hard i hit jumps/mud/sand/hills/creeks. My ball joints are fine and i have had my lift on for about 1 year.
If you have the Money Id go with the fabtech lift. just cause its a good quality lift and complete. by just adding the 2inches on my truck i have 265 75R16 on my truck right now with no rubbing. I talked to a good tire guy today and he said i could fit 285's on my truck with zero to little rubbing under flex. since 285's are equivelant to 33's im happy.

Also i havnt had any problems with my ball joints and i wheel pretty hard in my truck.
I jump it, mud it, take up and down steep hills, i get stuck all the time, sand pits, and trail run it and so far so good. ive had my lift for about a year and i wheel all the time.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Mr muffin on this site has a nice setup and hes is clearing 35 easily. His suspension lift is from Tech One i believe.
The travel on my truck is still pretty good and my truck doesnt bounce around at all it rides smoother then stock. and handles better too. The deal with your bump stops id recomend calling fabtech or a other manufacturer to see what they do. there is prolly a relocation braket or something like that if it is really a problem.
35inch tires you need the following
upper Control arms
Shocks
spindles (not a must)
brake lines
steering stabalizer (recomended)

·
Registered
79 Posts
OneBadRam,

If you're going to go with Fabtech's spindles, you probably should just call them and tell them what you're trying to do. Beware of your wheel backspacing also. I know with their spindles, wheel backspacing can only be 3-3/4" on a 15 and 4-5/8" on a 16. Fabtech's phone number is (714) 990-8850. Hope this helps you out and good luck!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well not necessarily I want ground clearance its not just lift for looks, Im sick of getting my stock trucks differntial stuck in the dirt when im going through trails and i know it is because my tires are too small and im too close the ground. SO, to clear 33's only 3-3.5 inches of lift and to clear 35's 6 inches Am I right?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts