Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone have/had problems with the body rusting. on my '99 the bottoms of the doors are rusting from around where the inside door meets the outside door around the drain holes. the dealer said this isnt normal, so did the body shop they sent me to have them look at it. but according to the district manager s*** happens. the service manager wasnt happy the way the D.M. handled it(he expected him to give the ok for the new doors like the body shop said it needs). the D.M. blames it one the rubber seal at the bottom of the door. if thats the case its dodges fault for putting it there and making it rust out. the service manager gave me another phone number to call and talk to someone from Detroit about it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
havent had any problems but mine is still farely new. dont know of anyone elses rusting either. the only rust i have is on the rear quarter panel when its been chipped my rocks and its only in small small spots and its just barely on the surface.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i also have problems with dodges white paint.
everytime the streets get salted some crap sticks to the paint and rusts. it comes off with wax but it almost seems like the paint is to soft. my cousin has the same problem with her 97 dodge avenger(also white).

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have the bright silver paint on my 2001 Ram and have noticed the the metallic flake in the paint is already rusting. I have to keeo it clean and waxed well in the winter. that salt is a killer. they just keep dumping salt to get rid of it since they are running out of room to keep it. if it gets cold out, you see salt trucks everywhere. it is rediculous. the snow melts by the next morning and the streets are white with salt, not snow. and it eats away and our trucks! oh yeah, i am in the northern chicago burbs too...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am soo glad that you guys have had rust problems too. I bought a white 2002 Dodge Ram Diesel in September and by December I started noticing little rust flicks all over the body of my truck. Two different dealerships gave me a bunch of interesting reasons why it was rusting but when it came right down to it, I think it was caused from the salt on the roads here. Since it was still under warranty, I took it in for what they called "an acid bath" and a good waxing. Within a month some of those spots came back but since it had already been in once for this problem, it is now an "environmental problem" that is not covered in the warranty. BUMMER!!! My brother owns a 2001 Dodge Ram Diesel that is driftwood color and his has tiny rust spots all over as well. I guess the good diesel engines make up for the sucky paint jobs.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
i havent had this with my truck, but my moms ford winstar had those little rust flakes all over the paint. brand new from the dealer. they said it was just dust from the railway cars and stuff. my mom didnt care too much about it either. i was a little disturbed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I didnt have a problem with rusting but my truck is black and gray. The black started to fade to where you could see the primer. so the dodge body shop repainted the roof for free. then a couple of months later the back of the cab started to fade so the body shop manager got it O.K with dodges waranty program and they repainted all the black for free and the new paint has a 5 year warranty. the shop manager said it was a common problem with some of the 98 and 99 models especially black, white, and silver.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On 2002-02-28 08:48, hybiak wrote:
I didnt have a problem with rusting but my truck is black and gray. The black started to fade to where you could see the primer. so the dodge body shop repainted the roof for free. then a couple of months later the back of the cab started to fade so the body shop manager got it O.K with dodges waranty program and they repainted all the black for free and the new paint has a 5 year warranty. the shop manager said it was a common problem with some of the 98 and 99 models especially black, white, and silver.

does the shop guy have a recall or tsb # for the paint or was that just his take on the deal?

·
Registered
63 Posts
that was his personal opinion. forgot to tell you that I bought the truck used and the previous owner had the same shop do the hood before the roof started to fade. so the manager just decided it would be better for both of us to repaint the rest before it faded.
It was basicly a free paint job except I had to pay 125 to have have a hole in my tailgate welded up and have it straightend before they could paint it

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On 2002-03-01 01:36, HaWiiLuVeR wrote:
i think dodge has a 100k warranty for rust, dont they?

for perforation rust only not surface rust. so basically they dont have a rust protection warranty since all rust starts out as surface rust!! i still have to call detroit on this. first off the truck isnt even 3 yrs old. they supposedly use galvanized sheet metal. if thats the case we is it rusting. galvanized metal has a useful life of 100yrs in normal conditions and 15 in extreme corrosion type enviroments(i live in the suburbs of chicago!!). in my opinion the metal is galvinzed, the inner door is pressed, the edges are trimmed to fit the door skin, and its that un-galvanized edge thats rusting. and since they probaly didnt use body seam filler in between the 2 pieces like they should, it didnt get sealed and water got in between the 2 door halfs and wicked itself into the un-galvanized metal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts