Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY ANY OF YOU BOW TIE BROTHERS HAVE 6" LIFT ?MINES A SUPERLIFT AND I HAD A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH MY TIRES WEARING OUT ON THE OUTSIDE. I HAD BIG-O ROTATE AND DO ALIGNMENTS SEVERAL TIMES OVER THE LAST TWO YEARS,I ALSO HAD BIG-O TIRES. I FINALLY HAD ANOTHER TIRE SHOP DO THE ALIGNMENT AND THEY ADJUSTED THE CAMBER WHICH BIG-O NEVER DID.NOW I'VE PUT ON NEW TIRES AND I'LL HAVE THE CAMBER ADJUSTED BACK TO NORMAL VERTICALLY, ANY ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO NEXT?

·
Registered
267 Posts
based on the info in the rides section for your truck, my concerns would be camber, side wall strength, inflation, and overall truck weight. camber is an issue that you are already addressing. side wall weakness is common in "house" tires. if the the side wall cannot retain the force of the vehicle being redirected in a turn, then the foot print is no longer the tread of the tire, but the outside edge. improper inflation can give the same result. make sure you are at the spec operating pressure. verifying and, if necessary, adjusting the camber would be next up. then, if you are running the same style of tire, would be the sidewall test. on a paved surface, with the tires properly inflated, put a perpendicular load on the front of the truck using another vehicle with a winch or recovery strap. don't skimp on the safety here, we don't like horror stories. the purpose is to determine the wall strength of the tire, not to drag your truck around. the tire should offer a minimal amount of wheel displacement before the truck starts to move. if the wheel looks as if its about to come out of the tire before the truck moves, then it's a sidewall issue. it's not listed in your ride info as to what wheel width you have, just 16.5 with 33x12.5 tires. if you only have an eight inch wheel spinning a tire with a 12.5 inch tread, your problem is likely to be wheel width. if you are using a larger wheel, like a 10 inch, then the problem is more likely to be sidewall strength. i've noticed that my 35 inch mud terrains do something similar, as evident by the tracks on my driveway. the 8.4k gvwr of my burb is a big factor. a friend has the exact same tire on his 76 cj5 and it leaves no marks on the driveway. so it could be the poundage your monster is putting on the pavement that is stressing your tires.

just a thought...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts