Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear from anyone running super swampers. How do they handle on the pavement? How about wet pavement? How do they compare in on road performance to a mud terrain or all terrain tire? How much more quickly do they wear and how long will a set last on a daily driver? How are the radial tsl's better for onroad than the regular tsl's? How about the ssr's? How do they perform on the road campared to something like a bfg all terrain or mud terrain?

The reason i am asking about onroad performance of super swamper (who would want to know that, you dont buy superswampers to drive on the road!) is because i would like to have the added performance in mud for my truck but it is my daily driver and i also need it to do fairly well on the road. I dont really mind the road noise but if it handles totally crappy and wears twice as quick then it would not be worth it. Also, there are soem tires sizes that i would like to get, like the Q78-16LT or whatever that is 36" tall but narrow enough for factory rims or the new 35/10.5r16 that is 35" tall and narrow enough for stock rims, which i cant find in an all terrain or mud terrain tire and i have only seen in super swampers.

Anyway, anybody who has or has had a set of swampers on thier truck, please let me know about this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
You cannot compare a super swamper to a BFG or Procomp, If you go offroad once a week and it is your daily driver, go with the BFG/Procomps, they will last twice as long a swamper, and are quieter, and handle much better on the street. If you dont drive the truck everyday than the Swamper might be right for you. Swampers are a hevier tire than the BFG/Procomp too. I think a Swamper will tear up steering parts up alot faster than the others.

·
Registered
969 Posts
It all depends on whether or not you are willing to sacrifice a little ride quality and tire wear to have a swamper. They can't be matched off road and look alot better than the BFG's. I broke down and got swampers and I'm glad, I drive my truck every day but I can deal with the ride. Plus swampers that are the same size as BFG's cost less and you can get them in a 10 ply tire.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I am running 35x12.50 SSRs right now. They are really good on the pavement. Track well, good traction wet or dry. They have a slightly tighter tread than the TSLs (not much) and are siped for better traction. They are radials and do not flat spot, wander or get too loud. There is a definate hum at all speeds, but tolerable.

I have a ext cab 1500 short bed (about 6200lb) and a rear locker. I put 50/50 highway/city miles. I have had them for 12-15,000 miles and am at 50% tread wear. Proper inflation is critical. I am now running 30psi and slowed the wear down. 32 spi was eating the centers, but got better MPG and slightly less noise. Its a trade off.

Offroad these things kick ass. Never been stuck with them where tires were the problem (been stuck with wedged between rocks, but when they are against both diff covers and your driveshaft is sitting on a rock, no tire is going to get you out)

·
Registered
118 Posts
i'm running 305/70/16 swamper ssrs so far i love them. they ride good dont pull and to me the noise isnt bad. biggest thing is tire maintence i rotate every 3000 miles and check the air pressure all the time. so far they havent cupped or wore funny. people i've talked to have been getting good tire life out of them too.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have 35"x15.5"-15 TSL's and I love them! They are non radials so they get flat spots in the mornings but goes away quick. They are loud on the road but I don't mind them thats what the CD players for. They have lasted me longer than expected. I think I have around 15-20,000 miles on them. The fronts are due for replacement, they went out of balance on the way to Sacramento and wore funny. The back will last a bit longer. All I can say is balance, rotate, and check airpressure often. They also wear out steering components faster. But you said you want thin ones, mine are 15.5" wide so they grab more bumps in the road wearing out components fast. I'd buy them if you don't have a long commute and don't mind the noise. Otherwise I'd say BFG-Muds they last forever, and aren't to noisy.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i've got 38inch thornbirds. they are a little rough in the mornings but it quickly goes away. they are a little slippery on the wet pavement. they hook up great in the mud.
Hag

1 - 8 of 8 Posts