Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i was just thinking... i have never seen a 2wd drive wrangler. do they make them or are they only 4wd. now before you go and accuse me of being stupid and saying why would i want a 2wd wrangler let me say this. I DONT. i was just curious. :):

·
Registered
896 Posts
As far as I know, Jeep never made a 2wd CJ/YJ/TJ. Thank god. Talk about the ultimate poser rig. Although, the old DJ's (mail Jeeps) are 2wd. The have a solid tube axle up front.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Don't hold me to this, but I think about a year or so ago I saw a 2WD TJ adverized in the Truck Trader. I can't remember how it read but it was in the 2WD section. It was the only Jeep in this section and was under the Jeep heading. I remember it b/c it caught me off guard under 2WD. I know it did not say 4x4 in the add.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Jeep has never made a 2wd, but maybe someone busted one up and converted it to 2wd.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Yeah, Jeep made 2wd Comanche's but that's all. There are a couple of those around in the town i live in.

·
Registered
896 Posts
A 2wd pickup is fine, but I'm talking Wranglers. A 2wd Wrangler would suck.

I actually like lifted 2wd trucks, and if I lived out in the desert I'd own one myself. I really like the pre-runner look.

Oh, and Jeep has made 2wd's throughout it's history. The DJ, that I mentioned above, the old Grand Waggoneers were available with 2wd, and even IFS (!) for a year or two. The old Willy's wagons started out as 2wd, and you could get a 2wd Jeepster.

·
Registered
683 Posts
A buddy of mine owns a 2WD Willys jeep. I know of a lot of 2WD Cherokees. Like I said Don't hold me to my last post in this topic, but I know it was under the 2WD section. There are a lot of Wranglers that look 2WD too. While we are on stupid ?'s, I've got one that has been bugging me. About 5 years ago I remember someone saying they test drove 2 4x4 Rams. One with IFS and the other with straight axle. Has Dodge ever had a 4x4 Ram with IFS before now?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Five years ago? Well, there was the Dodge Ram D50 made by Mitsubishi that Dodge used to sell back in the 80's. My uncle had one. Also, Dakota's have always been IFS.

As far as a full size, IFS Ram 4x4, this new one is unfortunately the first of that type.

Oh, and about that magazine you saw the wrangler in. I've seen plenty of vehicles under the wrong category in those mags. Probably just an error on their part.

I agree though, some Wranglers look like they might be 2wd because they are so low. It just depends on what tire package they came with. On the newer TJ Wranglers, you can get anywhere from the base 215/70's to 30x9.50's.
245/75R16 Cooper Discoverer S/T's
RE adjustable front track bar, OME SD40
Mopar skids and hooks

Member# 666!!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Thanks Mike, I was about 14 then and I didn't pay much attention to the front axles of trucks, just always had fun wheeling. That Wrangler in the truck trader did take me off guard and no where in the add did it say 4x4. I guess whoever was trying to sell it took that as being understood with all Wranglers and the mag.'s editor just did not see 4x4 in the add and put under 2WD.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts