Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my dad (Ramowner98) to go wheeling with me today. Nothing wild, just messing around in a construction site. When he had it in 4wd, we noticed some funky noises coming from the front axle when turning. Sounded like a metal on metal grinding noise, almost like the wear indicator on a disk brake pad. Brakes are fine though, and it ONLY does it in 4wd. It sounded like it was coming from the drivers side hub area.

Now this is probably only the 2nd time he's had the truck in 4wd in the past year, at first I was thinking maybe it was just some corrosion on the u-joints from lack of use. But then I thought about it some more, and since these trucks don't have locking hubs, the axles are always turning anyways.

It's only got about 45k or so on it, and has always been babied.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks alot.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Mud/rocks in the Brakes???

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. Wasn't any mud where we were, and not many rocks. Just soft dirt. And it only does it in 4WD. But I'll get under there tomorrow and really check it out, just to make sure there isn't anything stuck in there.

Could it be u-joints?

Oh, and DAMN, that was a quick reply. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I saw your post on dodgetrucks.org I to have this happening at 43k. I dont understand it, it basicly sounds like brake drag but only does it in 4x4. I dont get it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts