Off Road Vehicles banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
On 2005-04-16 09:53, mrlindner wrote:

Echo tips dont make the crackel its mostly the pipe size. I have 4" echo tips and I have a deep throughty sound coming out of the pipes and on one of my friends truck with the same setup and no tips he has more of a crackling sound. Tip do what they are suppose to do and make the sound lower and louder in my case anyways.

Explain the clapping sound. Like I said, tips can be properly executed, but rarely are. Clapping pisses me off the most.

·
Registered
658 Posts
On 2005-04-16 10:27, Blue89K5 wrote:
On 2005-04-16 09:53, mrlindner wrote:

Echo tips dont make the crackel its mostly the pipe size. I have 4" echo tips and I have a deep throughty sound coming out of the pipes and on one of my friends truck with the same setup and no tips he has more of a crackling sound. Tip do what they are suppose to do and make the sound lower and louder in my case anyways.

Explain the clapping sound. Like I said, tips can be properly executed, but rarely are. Clapping pisses me off the most.

Thats why i didnt run tips on my blazer :bigthumb: I have no crackle at all when i rev it, only time it crackles is when i down shift from 2nd to first.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I hate it when exhausts cackle and sound weird. I don't see why more don't people like throaty V-8 sounds? Tips look nice, but those HUGE ones just seem dumb to me. I guess its whatever you like though

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ive gota 350 w/ headers to 3" true duals exiting in front of the rear tire with no cross over pipe and flowmasters on with no tips on my 79 k5, it sounds very good, nice low rubble and the in cab noise aint that bad cosidering rhe boggers are still louder. :rotfl:

TxBlazerkid

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 1989 Plow beast with a 350. I cut the muffler off, left the cat and ran flex pipe up into my bed, then i made a T with 2.5" piping and then ran them up into dual stacks with the same 2.5" piping. It sounds awesome. Just the right volume too. When you rev the engine real high and let off fast it will cackle a couple times, but when you floor it under a load...well let me tell you!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
ok, i didn't get my truck straight-piped today, but for good reason. i'm looking at a set of Hedman headers on ebay and 2 3" Catco hi-flow catalytic converters. if i get this crap, gettin it put on in 1-2 weeks, hopefully it will sound extremely loud straight-piped out the back

·
Registered
217 Posts
I ran straight pipes on my bronco for about a year, no cats, true duals coming out of full length headers and dumped right before the rear axle, it sounded awesome and I was pissed when the law finally made me get mufflers. But I may be biased to the whole extremely loudness cause I'm a drag racing man myself.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Headers will help with the sound, they give it a nice crisp sound. And if you get in trouble like the dude above me did down the road...spintech mufflers are an awesome brand and sound pretty dang sweet.

Btw- my exhaust is the exact same thing as you tx blazer but i have a small block 400 with hooker headers.

·
Registered
106 Posts
if you are doing it just for sound, it's hard to beat an ole TBI with stock manifolds, stock cat, and a y-pipe where the muffler used to be going to the tips. Deep and smooth. The vortecs sound "raspy"
:cool:: not to mention its cheap :bigthumb:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
yea, i'm running everything stock right now, except i chopped the muffler and it's just a 3" diameter pipe dumped about 14" behind the cat under the very back of my cab. pretty good sound. has a nice clap to it when u take off quick, but i want some long-tubes, 2 high-flow cats, and 3" straight-pipe true duals all the way through. probably the way i'm going to go.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I retract my previous statement then, if you're diong it properly it should sound okay, but the normal y'd off straight pipes sound like crap. how about a sound clip when it's done?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 95 TBI Chevy with some POS Flowtech headers, 2 1/4" pipe with no cats or mufflers and some 5" tips at a 45 out the back. I wanted 2 1/2" pipe but the shop screwed up. But I like it. The big tips give it a nice tone. I like it and everyone else I have talked to seemed to like it. All preference I guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Regardless of power gains or losses, the obnoxious noise that will emit from your vehicle will sound like a$$. Not to mention your just screaming to get Johnny the Law's attention. Save your money and go with Flowmasters. They'll sound great and not attract too much attention. If you still go with the straight pipe idea, do me a favor, put a "Summers Eve" or "Massingil" sticker on your truck. No offense, in my neck of the woods, you'd be considered a "douche-bag". Again , no offense.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
My cousin had his 77 chevy with a 350 straight piped, with no cats or anything. It sounded good, I could hear it a long ways away. I don't like how I cut my muffler off my dodge, it makes it sound like I have a major exhaust leak. I am putting 2 flowtech redhot glasspacks on tommorow, with no cats. I may lose a little bit of low end power, but that is fine for now.

Do it right the first time, put a single in, dual out flowmaster on it with pipes out the back :bigthumb:

·
Registered
658 Posts
id listen to a flowmaster before you buy one, because if you like straight pipes like i do youll see that they sound like trash. If you must get a muffler get a spintech.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've got an audio clip of mine straight piped...no cat, no muffler, actually nothing past the y-pipe. Anyone know where I can host that?

Mine now has no cat with a dynomax dual...sounds amazing. Down low it has a real deep tone that isn't loud. I've gotten quite a few comments on how nice it sounds. Above 4G she starts to get loud.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts