Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm getting my '91 Z71 straight-piped on Monday. tell me if this a good idea or a bad one. anyone ever heard one of the 88-98s with a 350 straight-piped, let me know if it sounds good. also, if anyone has a soundbyte from a straight-piped 88-98 350, let me know or post it.

thanks

·
Registered
783 Posts
way to loud if there is no cat. It sounds like crap too.

·
Registered
802 Posts
it will help with backpressure but not with tone, whats the point of being loud if it sounds like rotten a$$ :bad:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Straight pipes would sound just like a muffler that fell off. Save your money, cut your muffler off, and be happy - it would sound the same.

If it were mine I would run Flowmasters, I really like the way they sound.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Nothing sounds like a FLOWMASTER. Without a muffler it just makes a flappy sound. No deep tone what so ever. Just makes noise.

·
Registered
223 Posts
yeah Flowmasters sound good on TBI 350s. Itll run like crap with open pipes and probably give you a code (map sensor or O2). Youll surely lose some thottle response too. While your at it check to see if the cat is clogged up, its probably about that time. The only things that like open pipes are racecars and turbo diesels.

·
Registered
429 Posts
My buddy has straights on his 351W. No cats, mufflers or anything. Its VERYYYY loud, but it doesn't sound bad. He has to put some kind of mufflers/cat on though because of the back pressure issue.

I'd probably go with flowmasters myself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i think this is my first post...ne who... i say run with the idea bud....get a set of hedders if u dont already got em, and run pipe out to a pair of dual aftermarket cats, then out to some nasty tips....she'll deafen onlookers...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Are you going with true dual or just one straight pipe. I have heard three trucks around here with true dual straight and they are very loud and have a crackel to them. A single straight pipe would sound like a muffler fell off and just sound like crap.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I dunno man, I drive a 98 with a 350 and about 5 months ago I had a cat go bad. While I was in the shop I decided to go ahead and get straight pipes. I got 2 new cats and true duals with no mufflers. Personally, I like the sound from about idle to 3.5k RPM, but anything beyond is just TOO LOUD and crackly.
About a month ago, just like adrenaline said, another code popped up for a bad cat (which had just gotten changed). I erased the code, and nothing has come up since. If it happens again, I'll probably go ahead and throw on some mufflers. It's your choice, but if I had it to do all over again, I'd probably go with some mufflers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
all the trucks that have the vortec heads on them will be louder than the 350's without. i have a 92 Z71 with strait pipes (a single pipe that splits into two at the end) with the stock cat and it sounds awsome. no loss of hp and i have seen a increase in gas millage. i get compliments all the time. its not loud and crackly its more of a low throaty noise that sounds like a 454 engine. its nice i would recommend doing it that way.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
poo poo caca

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
chopped the muffler before work and holy {expletive}, that is one loudass truck now. it has a deep throaty rumble that i didn't have, even with the aftermarket muffler that came on the truck when i bought it. definitely straight-piping true duals.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Straight pipes sound nothing like a cut off muffler, much more tone and its more crisp. My brother had a 91 z71 with a 350.. No cat 2-3/4 straight pipes into 3x12 inch angled tips and it was one of the best sounding exhuast's ive heard. I personally hate flomasters because it sounds like you taped a damn tin can on it. And yea with straight pipes you lose bottem end torque but who really cares its hardly enough to notice and the little bit you loose wouldnt help much anyway.

I dont remember who said cuttin off the muffler is like straight pipes, not to be rude thats just dumb lol. There is a very large difference, mostly in, in cab sound, no muffler just sounds like a haytruck because its usually under the cab exit... pipes take it out the back and it doesnt echo of the ground and into the truck. And depending on the size of tips youll get different tones aswell, same concept as pipes. Smaller more crackle at high rpms, larger you get a deeper tone. Ive heard/had many different straight pipe applications such as...4" into 4"x6" tips, 3" (my blazer), 2-1/2 no tips, 3-1/2 with 6x4" tips, actually almost any combo above 2" pipes. Ive also ran no muffler on all of my trucks/cars before getting exhaust and there is a world of difference

·
Registered
290 Posts
On 2005-04-15 23:38, outlawtorn wrote:
Straight pipes sound nothing like a cut off muffler, much more tone and its more crisp. My brother had a 91 z71 with a 350.. No cat 2-3/4 straight pipes into 3x12 inch angled tips and it was one of the best sounding exhuast's ive heard. I personally hate flomasters because it sounds like you taped a damn tin can on it. And yea with straight pipes you lose bottem end torque but who really cares its hardly enough to notice and the little bit you loose wouldnt help much anyway.

I dont remember who said cuttin off the muffler is like straight pipes, not to be rude thats just dumb lol. There is a very large difference, mostly in, in cab sound, no muffler just sounds like a haytruck because its usually under the cab exit... pipes take it out the back and it doesnt echo of the ground and into the truck. And depending on the size of tips youll get different tones aswell, same concept as pipes. Smaller more crackle at high rpms, larger you get a deeper tone. Ive heard/had many different straight pipe applications such as...4" into 4"x6" tips, 3" (my blazer), 2-1/2 no tips, 3-1/2 with 6x4" tips, actually almost any combo above 2" pipes. Ive also ran no muffler on all of my trucks/cars before getting exhaust and there is a world of difference

The crackle that comes with tips is what pisses me off the most, I wish echo tips would get outlawed. The clapping pisses me off so bad. If you want loud go open headers. I drove my blazer like that for 5 days waiting for my flowmasters to get in and I drove my old one ton out of the stock Y pipe for over 6 months... if it's too loud turn the radio up. If you want good sound flowmaster is the way to go. Everyone says flowmaster because they work. My Blazer is very loud (2 3/4" with turndowns at the axle) and I get nothing but compliments and the in cab noise isnt any louder than TSL howl. Straight pipe can be okay, but the only way to do it is without tips to get rid of the clapping, because clapping sucks. Tips only sound good executed properly, and glasspacks or nothing isnt proper execution for tips...

·
Registered
139 Posts
The crackle that comes with tips is what pisses me off the most, I wish echo tips would get outlawed. The clapping pisses me off so bad. If you want loud go open headers. I drove my blazer like that for 5 days waiting for my flowmasters to get in and I drove my old one ton out of the stock Y pipe for over 6 months... if it's too loud turn the radio up. If you want good sound flowmaster is the way to go. Everyone says flowmaster because they work. My Blazer is very loud (2 3/4" with turndowns at the axle) and I get nothing but compliments and the in cab noise isnt any louder than TSL howl. Straight pipe can be okay, but the only way to do it is without tips to get rid of the clapping, because clapping sucks. Tips only sound good executed properly, and glasspacks or nothing isnt proper execution for tips...

Echo tips dont make the crackel its mostly the pipe size. I have 4" echo tips and I have a deep throughty sound coming out of the pipes and on one of my friends truck with the same setup and no tips he has more of a crackling sound. Tip do what they are suppose to do and make the sound lower and louder in my case anyways.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts