Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay...I've decided to follow the conventional wisdom and do a SFA conversion. If any of you have experience with this I would love your input. First, I want a bolt in kit for a 99 (new style) 1/2 ton Sierra. Any suggestions? I would like to use a 14 bolt, but I'm told the pumkins are on the wrong side and that I'll need a Ford front axle. Is this true? If it is, what's the best (available in a junk yard) Ford axle to use? If I can use a GM 14 bolt front axle, were any manufactured with 6 lugs and discs?

Sniper

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Hooo, boy. IF you could even FIND a front end 14 bolt, that would be saying something. I think that there are only 2 or 3 rigs in the WORLD that have a 14 bolt front end, and they had manufactured those front ends themselves. The best I can suggest is getting a DANA 60 front end for strength, and it is going to take some planning, cutting, welding, more planning, trial and error, to stick a SFA on there. Find someone who is a master welder, and make him your best friend. Best bet is to do a leaf spring conversion for the front end, is probably the easiest conversion to do. Coil springs would be difficult, although worth it as far as articulation, and the measuremenst would have to be EXACT. There may be a kit out there for your conversion, but generally these kits cost around $1500, and that is if you supply your own axle. Dana 60 front ends cost around $1000, dependent on which side chunk you get. But, going to a SFA is totally worth it! You will save yourself a lot of money in the long run...here is some good advice...find a donor truck and use the parts off the donor truck. Yes, you will be spending around $2000-$3000 for the donor truck, give or take, but you will have all the necessary parts for the conversion. It is not an easy process...

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
i know off road unlimited has a kit for the coversion for around $700 or so but i dunno what year the kit is for. i would also say a dana 60 definetly

·
Registered
896 Posts
I have a few back issues of 4Wheel & Offroad and Four Wheeler where they have info on SFA swaps. I'll dig them out, and you can have them the next time I see you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
it will be well worth it..to save A LOT of cash to check out http://www.pirate4x4.com in their for sale section for a d-60 you will save around 1500 bucks. They run around 1200 or if you get a rebuilt one 2800

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Picked up matching HD D44F and HD D60R axles with 4.10's (both open) for $200. Although both were recently "rebuilt", I'm tearing them both down and doing master rebuilds on them, and installing No-Slips while I'm at it. The 44 has flat top knuckles, so a cross-over set up is planned also. I just couldn't justify the cost of a D60F right now. Besides, I don't do any high horsepower / high rpm stuff, so the D44F should handle 35's with out any complaints. The D60 is an older 16 spline unit, but can be easily upgraded to 30 splines with a shaft/side gear swap. If any of you are interested in how this all works out, let me know.

Sniper

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Those prices are jacked up at Pirate4x4!!!
Go on eBay and you can often score one for $800-1000. I know I got mine for $750 fully rebuilt and painted, but without brakes. After brakes, the costs of the axle was close $950, and that is with everything in it having been replaced and built. Add a few hundred for 4.88s and locker, and it still beats Pirate4x4! Those people will rape you, don't deal with people that know what they have, deal with morons and you can often get a steal.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
I got a friend that just bought a dana 44HD and a 14bolt rear out of an old chevy 4x4, axles have good steering and breaks, bolth for $400. look around youll find something you want cheap.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
it will cost you about $1500 for the bolt on kit and the steering components. then you will have to buy springs and shocks. those kits are designed to use the springs from the 70s and 80s generation trucks. then you can get any height that you really want.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts