Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
On 2005-12-11 17:46, NickM wrote:
05 dodge steroe and after market amp.
Can I just splice into the rear speaker wires to the amp. Or does the stock stereo have rca outputs?

The stock stereo will not have the RCA's. These is a box that you can buy to use your stock stereo. You will be putting your door speakers and stuff on a amp so you will need to have the RCA's to use the amps. Just go to a stereo shop and they should have the box.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Nope no preouts you will have to use the speaker outputs and either get a line level convertor or if your amp has one built in use that. This is the setup I have in my truck. My car the HU is an aftermarket one and has preouts.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
On 2005-12-11 18:16, NickM wrote:
can I splice this into my rear speaker wires for the subs and still run it to the rear speakers? I dont have replacement door speakers yet.....

You can splice you speaker wire into your stock wiring but you will still have to get sound coming from the radio to the amp for your input.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Nick, If your amp has "high level inputs" (basically speaker terminals on the input side) you can splice into your rear speaker wires and take your signal from there. If it only has low level inputs (RCAs) then you will need to buy a "line output converter" to convert the high level (speaker wires) to low level (rcas)

edit: none of these is really the most desireable way to do things, but it will be the only way if you REALLY want to keep your stock head unit. Personally, the stock head unit is the first thing to go in the trash (or the garage) after I buy a vehicle

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
edit: none of these is really the most desireable way to do things, but it will be the only way if you REALLY want to keep your stock head unit. Personally, the stock head unit is the first thing to go in the trash (or the garage) after I buy a vehicle
Usually with me also but I don't really want to spend $70 on the adapter to keep my steering wheel controls and want to keep them. I kind of like the stock look in the truck also. My other two vehicles have aftermarket HU's though and I have been thinking about changing it in my Dodge for a few days now just haven't decided what I want to do.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
I cant handle a stock stereo. Ive never heard on ethat sounds nearly as good as a marginal aftermarket stereo, plus I amplify everything. The only time you will ever see me using power from the deck is if its a temporary install while Im waiting for time/money to do my full install (like right now)

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
On 2005-12-12 10:51, King Nothing wrote:
I cant handle a stock stereo. Ive never heard on ethat sounds nearly as good as a marginal aftermarket stereo, plus I amplify everything. The only time you will ever see me using power from the deck is if its a temporary install while Im waiting for time/money to do my full install (like right now)

:withstupid: :withstupid: I would deffinately look into finding new deck. It will sounds better and clenaer that with the stock radio.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
The original reason I kept it was the truck isn't my DD but recently I have been driving it more and more and thats why I'm considering one. I really want a in dash dvd/tv/gps but don't want to spend $2k on a HU so not sure if I Want to wait or just get a regular HU now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts