Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am pulling my stock mainfoldws right now to replace the cracked one and I noticed that there are not any gaskets between the manifold and the cylinder head? Is this normal? There is not residue of one or anything.

I did by some Victor gaskets from Napa that were listed as exhaust manifold gaskets for my truck.

Whats the deal? Use the gaskets when I install the used manifolds I got?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Jason, my 97 was the same way. I took mine off to put headers on and was shocked to see that there were no gaskets there. I took the headers off the next day and put the manifolds back on with gaskets. Within a month the gaskets cracked and started leaking, your truck will sound like and 8N farmall. I took them back of and used orange HIGH-Temp silicone. Smeared it everywhere, bolted em back on, let it dry for 24 hrs and haven't had a leak yet. I don't know why gaskets aren't used or why mine didn't work when reinstalling. A tube of HT silicone is $3.59 and has worked perfectly for almost a year. I would recommend the same to you.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well, the gaskets have probably just worn away if they were just factory. I assume you do alot of off roading which speeds up the process of deteroration. When you put new gaskets on, use copper gaskets, they are a little bit more in price but not only do they provide a better seal, they last longer to the elements too.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well there was no leaks and nothing loose so I will assume there was no gasket from the factory, especialy if someone with a 97 also found the same. The gaskets I bought are high quality, Victor Reinz (by Dana), and are steel core graphite with no retorque needed supposedly. Definatley not the thin junk you expect from cheap gaskets.

If I get leaks I will change them out. I just need to get through smog check by the end of the month and get my registration paid. Never would have passed with the cracked manifold.

BTW, the crack is on three sides of the manifold and just starting to make the trun to the bottom side. Hardest part of getting the mainfolds off, even after lots of wheeling and 130,000 miles was the y-pipe clamps. Mainfold bolts/nuts came of fairly easy.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah I've heard good things about those Victor Reinz gaskets. The y pipe is always the hardes part to any exhaust system unless you are trying to install and align headers all by yourself!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Oh hey, are you taking pics for the Tech section? It seems a lot of people are interested in this subject right now. Might be interesting to see the response.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I didn't take any pics yet. I can still write up the removal though, it is really simple. Lots of Liquid Wrench for the past 2 days after scrapping and brushing the rust and mud off the bolts.

I have the new-to-me mainfolds getting sand blasted in and out to remove carbon and rust (father-in-law does it for a living so he is doing it for me) and I will take pics of the install.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Sounds, good. By the way, Awesome site! This is the best site I have ever seen. Everyone is very helpful and usually really nice to one another unlike all those other "soap opera" web sites.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On 2002-03-21 14:46, rockytfox wrote:
Sounds, good. By the way, Awesome site! This is the best site I have ever seen. Everyone is very helpful and usually really nice to one another unlike all those other "soap opera" web sites.

Thanks. I always appreciate positive feedback. Makes me feel like it is worth the time and money to have and maintain the site.

We have some good moderators here that try really hard to keep things on topic and clean. We don't have to edit/lock many posts, but it does happen.

On 2002-03-21 14:48, tv_larsen wrote:
The factory has never used manifold/head gaskets with plain exhaust manifolds.

That is always good to know... Saves someone some panicky thoughts if/when they do theirs

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i agree this is a great site and you can always find someone to help you find a part, fix a problem, and sometimes lend a hand on the install

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
i think dodge was thinking that with gaskets-possible leaks because of parts being blown out. without gaskets- there may be a little tiny leak at first, but the carbon from the exhast will seal any leaks pretty quickly. that is of course as long as the manifold serfaces are flat. getting the manifolds blasted makes them look pretty and all, but if you dont get them coated with hi temp paint(jet-hot), it will just rust up again. even the crap that pep boys sells, supposedly high heat, it doesnt work for crap. i put that paint on the headers in my charger, and when i fired it up the first time, i could actually see the paint flakes flying out from my engine compartment.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On 2002-03-22 01:19, HaWiiLuVeR wrote:
i think dodge was thinking that with gaskets-possible leaks because of parts being blown out. without gaskets- there may be a little tiny leak at first, but the carbon from the exhast will seal any leaks pretty quickly. that is of course as long as the manifold serfaces are flat. getting the manifolds blasted makes them look pretty and all, but if you dont get them coated with hi temp paint(jet-hot), it will just rust up again. even the crap that pep boys sells, supposedly high heat, it doesnt work for crap. i put that paint on the headers in my charger, and when i fired it up the first time, i could actually see the paint flakes flying out from my engine compartment.

If my father-in-law is going to paint them, he is going to use hi-temp paint. He is an industrial painter/blaster and has all kinds of stuff available.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
i would say definately paint them, otherwise there is no point in even blasting them in the first place. they will look the same way in about 6 months.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only reason I am having him blast them is to get the big scale off and to decarbonize the ports and stuff. It is easy for him to do so why not.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Jason,

my 01 did not have any gaskets either. I guess there was some really smooth machining done on the heads and the manifolds.

After I removed my headers and put the stock manifolds back I did not use any gaskets and I did not have any leaks at all.

Bill

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got the parts back today and the gaskets don't match the ports very well so I am going to go without them for now and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All back together. Didn't take too long. Spent almost more time setting up a friggin tarp so I would not get rained on! Tech article to follow shortly (hopefully).

And yes, they parts are painted with high temp paint inside and out. Cleanest parts in the entire engine bay...

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay, soon is here already:

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/exman.cgi

1 - 20 of 24 Posts