Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what the lift on the stock camshaft is? The cam I'm looking at has a .440" of intake and exhaust lift, and I'm not sure how much more that is over stock. I think most older cams (like in my trucks' time period) had .300" lift stock but not sure.

Anyone?

-Chris

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I think that .300 number seems a little low. I would think that its still in the .400's. I guess that also depends on if its a smog cam too. You might try looking at compcams website and see if they have a retro grind. .440 is a good low torque though.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't really sure what the stock lift was so I called Summit, and they said the cam I wanna get should work just fine but I'm gonna call Jegs just to make sure. I'd rather get a second opinion before I order a cam with to much lift that'll break/bend a valve.

-Chris

·
Registered
502 Posts
Chris,

When looking at cams the Centerline is almost more important than the lift or duration.

I helped a friend install a Mopar Purple shaft cam a few years back and the damn thing had a center line of 106 which is insane.
Stock for most computer controlled cars is about 114. I run a very agressive cam in my Mustang that is 110 and it is loppy as hell. It doesnt help that it is a very large grind.

Anything under .460 or so is normally safe on most stock springs.. Not sure about the Dodge though.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Bill.

I just ordered all my parts. I'm gonna post a topic on it so look there for details.

-Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts