Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my truck makes a whining sound when i turn the wheel. mostly when turning it at a stand still or creeping along off road. i think its the steering stabalizer, but what do you guys think. its no big deal if it is because i wanted to go to a dual setup anyway.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I cant tell anything by the noise, but an easy way to find out is to take it off. i tagged mine on a rock and it made my steering very strange. i finally came to the theory that it was the stabilizer and confirmed it when i removed it. right now im running without one. it does fine on the street, but im a little worried how it will act offroad.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Any type of whining sound while turning your wheels is usually your power steering pump. I know that the pump on my Bronco makes a lot of noise when the fluid level gets low. But Ford power steering pumps are notorious for being noisy and leaking alot. Soon an AGR steering box will make it's way onto my truck.
As for your steering stabilizer, I definitely recommend the Skyjacker dual setup. I don't really know how they mmount on the Ram, but they mount up and out of the way on my Bronco, unlike the Pro Comp unit I was running before. I am really impressed with the quality of parts on the Skyjacker stuff too.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Nick is right, it's the power steering pump! It usually occurs at or near full wheel lock! Just make sure to check the fluid level once in a while and also look for leaks! :D:

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad-Cab SLT 4X4 SB, 5.2L V8, 5" SkyJacker Stage II Kit, 35/12.50/15 Good~Year MT/R's on 15X8 Weld Racing Sidewinder Wheels, Flowmaster Cat-Back Exhaust System, Custom Audio System.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts