Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a single Skyjacker steering stabilzer and I was just going to replace it in the same place as the stock one, but I can only get one side of the stock one off. I know this is probably the dumbest question of all time, but I am new at this stuff. Does anyone know how to get the stock stabilzer off? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
2wd's have no steering stabilizers if they have front IFS. As far as getting the stabilizer off, I imagine you are talking that the tie-rod end won't come off, the long stud throught the tie rod. Simple: Beat the hell out if it. The new stabilizer should have another bolt and beveled shim for the stabilizer. You will not reuse the old stud. I have a 2000, and it has the same setup, and this is what I had to do.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i installed a rancho steering stabilizer on my ram and the stock stabilizer was a real pain in the a** to get off. i had to use a pitman arm puller and when it popped off, it shot out about 10 feet. the puller fit better with the wheels turned to the left – this got the bolt away from the trackbar.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ordered mine from 4wheelparts and i didnt get a new bolt or beveled shim. So, I thought I was supposed to reuse the old ones, where can I get new ones, assuming i can get the dang thing off.

·
Registered
203 Posts
you may want to give 4 wheel parts a call. i have put on a few of these and they all had new hardware. you can also call the folks at skyjacker (318 388-0816) and give them the part number that you ordered. they will tell you what hardware is supposed to come with the kit. it is hard (not imposable) to re-use the old hardware because you usually end up beating the s*** out of it to get it off. good luck..

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Cough Cough ehem

i have 2wd ifs with a steering stab.
also for rack and pinion setups fabteck makes a stab for you guys as well.
Faver your truck is rack and pinion so i would give fabtech a call.

My Project 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT, 5.9 360, 2x4, 2inch Rough Country lift, 265 75 R16 Procomp AT, rough country steering stabalizer, custom engine mud guards, Stereo system,Rancho rs5000's, http://www.cardomain.com/id/rawkon668

·
Registered
362 Posts
If its stuck where the bolt mounts toe the bar that links the two wheels together you can use an air hammer or a B.F.H ( big f-in hammer) and a ball joint seperator to seperat it. Or like mccomas said use a pitman arm puller but be careful that it doesnt bust you in the knoggin' when it comes off!!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
in the pic i had to go real slow because the hill is very triangle shaped and i barley highcentered at the peek.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
To take it off do what I did. Hit a rock with the stock stab. and cut it by the middle.

In that picture I have my stock Stab on my hand after I cut it out with a rock that was covered with mud. :):

·
Registered
558 Posts
hotchili does it matter that you took the boot off of the steering stabilizer, and what about the shocks, what are the down sides to taking it off?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a Rancho setup from 4wheelparts.com, and received all new bolts, hardware, etc. I have the same problem with the tie rod end of the stabilizer. I've had it for several months now, and whenever I have nothing to do, I pull it in the garage and try to get the old one off. I have tried a pittman arm puller, a small two- arm puller, a small three-arm puller, a bearing puller, a big f**king hammer, and various combinations of the above...eventually, I'll find the right combination of tools and alchohol to get the damn thing off!!!

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I had to drill mine out. Burnt up one drill and went through several bits. We cut it off flush with the draglink and then started drilling with a small bit and moved up in several stages until we could beat it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jason, did you cut the bolt between the stabilizer bushing and the tie rod, and then drill from the front side? Alot of my problem is coming from not having any room to work between the back side of the tie rod (where the castle nut is) and the drag arm.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i heard that jacking up the truck will help...by taking some pressure off of it???

·
Registered
52 Posts
i took mine off by loosening the castle nut to the end of the threads then with the b.f.h. i smacked the top of the nut a few times and it popped right out. my truck was only a year old at the time. maybe that will work for you
Hag

1 - 19 of 19 Posts