Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the symptom is my truck will randomly move side to side at high speeds. Its a battle to keep it in a straight line. My first idea was the bushings on the trac bar are junk (i will check that tommorow). Also there is quite a bit of play where the pitman arm connects to the steering box. I think it might be a bad bearing cause I leak power steering fluid. The truck on the road will wander, not more than a foot in either direction, but still its a pain in the neck to drive it on the highway. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
i had a similar problem with my truck, and it was from my stabilzer. i had tagged it on a rock and dented it right where it would center the wheel. so the rubber bushing inside the shock was rubbing on the dent. just one more thing for you to check out.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I hadn't thought of that, I will take a look at it.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-04-27 13:48, Outlaw Ram wrote:
Yeah I hadn't thought of that, I will take a look at it.

i had the same problem, it ended up being the steering gearbox had ALOT of play in the sector shaft, i could actually see it moving side to side about a 1/4" or so. it was also leaking. i ended up replacing the gearbox.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remember a post a while back that someone talked about AGR steering box's? If I replace my box I'm definitely going to get a more heavy duty version so I don't have to deal with it again. That will be expensive so I'm hoping its not the actual box. My box seems to be in the same shape yours was, as far as play in the shaft.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-04-27 16:53, Outlaw Ram wrote:
I remember a post a while back that someone talked about AGR steering box's? If I replace my box I'm definitely going to get a more heavy duty version so I don't have to deal with it again. That will be expensive so I'm hoping its not the actual box. My box seems to be in the same shape yours was, as far as play in the shaft.

i was told by a powersteering gear rebuilding shop in chicago that there really isnt anyway to make it more heavy duty. you can change the ratio but that is about it. 2 weeks later i found a brand new box on ebay for $100. anyone ever see those sector shaft braces before? i wonder how feasable they would be for a dodge. they were advertised for the jeeps with the really long sector shaft, im not sure if it could be adapted.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think I have alread ytouched on this topic not to long ago.... but I will reiterate.....
and I quote "I think you guys might be all wrong on this one. On the weekends, after I have a few cold beers my truck also tends to wonder from side to side, sometime more than other times. But I have noticed that when I let others drive it doesnt tend to do that. I dont know, but go figure could it be the cold beer????? Ill keep you guys posted after I do a little more research."
Hope this helps you out...

·
Registered
962 Posts
I got an AGR box and borgenson shaft. THe AGR box may not be "heavy duty" but it sure as hell feels heavy duty. It is an incredible improvement. And it costs less than the chrysler box. I got mine straight from AGR for about 315. Chrysler quoted me like 500 for a saginaw.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I have the same problem, and I´m pretty sure that the AGR Box will solve it. The price for a 20:1 is near $315.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Anybody know of a cheaper place to get a box? Mine leaks like a siv out of the pitman arm shaft. Half a bottle of stop leak and she's good to go for now. I know a new box is inevitable but $350 is a little steep. Exactly what benefits does the agr have over the saginaw? Warranty etc.???

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will defintely get the AGR box if I need to. Tommorow I will take the truck into the shop and check, ball joints, tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, drag link, and the steering box. Hopefully something is just loose and not worn.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I will give you one example of how the AGR box is better. I was racing down a muddy dirt road and slid into a perfectly square irrigation ditch but just on one side of my truck. So I had two tire in and two out. I hit hard. I turned the wheel and with no pressure at all it it turned the tire sideways lifting the trucks front end up and sideways. I could have turned the wheel with one finger. Initially I thought that the intermediate shaft must have been busted. With the original box I would have struggled like hell.

If you get the box spring for the borgeson shaft too. It is a nice investment. Needle bearings and all....

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
NJBT,

Any problems with the steering being too powerfull on the high-way for your short-wheelbase?

Looks like you have a reg-cab short-box (same as me), and AGR recommends against their higher ratio boxes and stronger pumps because the truck could get "twitchy" on the highway...

Thanks,

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How expensive is the borgeson shaft? I think it would be a good long term investment cause my truck is always going to be running big tires.

96 Ram 5.2L V8 4" trailmaster suspension lift, Flowmaster Dual exhaust, 36" swamper radials on 16x8 US wheels, 4.56 Gears, Grizzly rollbar 2 KC daylighters, Mopar pcm, K&N cold air intake, bed mounted spare tire carrier with a full size spare

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I saw in the AGR web page and they said that the off road steering box is the one that they recommend not for highway use.
Maybe someone can explain me the difference of the Pure Off Road steering box and the Highway and Off Road one. Wich one is the 20:1?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well from what i hear the 20:1 is a tighter ratio which may be better for off road but on the highway it can still do ok cause its not like your gonna make many sharp turns.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
I bought an HD AGR box a while back because I was having the same problems. It steers a lot easier and does fine on the highway, but the first week after I got it installed, I hit a bog and broke the seal on the pitman arm shaft. All the fluid drained out and I had to drive it home with out power steering. They sent me new seals for free, but its a pain in the ass putting them in.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
the borgeson runs around $275 - $300 depending who has it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How do you replace the seal? Mine leaks and i can alnost guarentee its the seal cause its leaked ever since the lift was put in with the new drop pitman arm.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts