Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced their steering box yet? How much do they run? How long to install? The shaft of my steering box that connects to the pitman arm makes a noise when the truck hits a bump, I think the 39.5's killed it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Biginuf does it sound like a lite knock? Yesterday I started to here a noise and feel it a little in the steering wheel. does this sound like the same thing?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, and its makes noise if the truck hits a bump....grab the pitman arm and jerk it back and forth. Im not sure if i can feel it in the wheel though. I can feel it in the floor board I think.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just replaced the tie rod end on the pitman arm today but the noise is still there. I also saw that the track bar had a little play on the frame end, you might want to check that too. I'm gonna replace that next week. if you havn't done the box by then I'll let you know how it worked.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
You can replace the intermediate steering shaft. That is waht tends to fail and make teh noise. Borgesen or Flaming River both make better than OEM replacements.

To test the steering shaft, grab the u-joints on it and try to move them up and down. If they move too much, you need a new shaft.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jason, i think its on the rod that come out of the box and the pitman arm bolts to it.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dont you still need the factory steering box??? How does it work?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sorry Marc I was just throwing that out there for ya.. But here is the link to the homepage for more info.. <!-- BBCode u1 Start -->http://www.agrperformance.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u1 End --> Hopefully this will help a little.. Pete

Hey pick up a copy of the March 2002 Four Wheeler magazine. There is a two page article about heavy duty parts for steering..

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Yeah biginuf I would probably recommend the hydraulic ram stup for you. Basically it a new power steering box, pump, and a power assist hydraulic ram! The only problem is that the kit is around $1000. If you are going to just replace the box go with the AGR superbox II

P.S. Where can I find pics of you rig????

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey Foolish you can find some pictures of Biginuf's truck on http://www.dodgeram.org click on Photo Gallery then go to Gallery 14 there's some there. Also readers rides page 8 of this forum.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-02-06 19:02, Biginuf wrote:
Has anyone replaced their steering box yet? How much do they run? How long to install? The shaft of my steering box that connects to the pitman arm makes a noise when the truck hits a bump, I think the 39.5's killed it.

its funny you asked. i just bought a brand new one off ebay from a guy who is a dodge tech.(hmm wonder how he got the steering box). he only charged me a $100 shipped. when i called dodge to confirm the part number the counter guy told me $700.
or you can try a rebuilt one. here are few companies.
http://www.powersteering.com/$150+shipping+core
http://www.steeringgearrebuilders.com/
$175+shipping+core
http://www.pwrsteering.com/
$250+shipping+core
or you can spend the money and get the agr box of which your still going to have problems. there is a guy on the off-road.com site that has a 2500 and runs 38's, sometimes 42's and f*cked up his agr box.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
oh yeah as far as the install. it should only take like 2 hours. mine took all day cause no one had a pitman arm puller, my steering shaft wouldnt slide back and forth to collapse it and reinstall. i had to disconnect the tie rod from the pitman arm to get the pitman arm off and the castle nut stripped out and NO ONE carries them, not even dodge(the guy at bettenhausen dodge in Tinley Park was kind enough to take a castle nut out of a set off ball joints for a dana 44).

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey shawn thanks thanks alot for all that info, doesnt sound too bad, i may go with the AGR, they run about 350 dollars, id like to rebuild mine but i doubt that will fly.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Shawn are you talking about Super Swamper on Offroad.com? Big Dodge Diesel also runs one.. He said that it took a little getting used to driving with on the HWY cause it turns so easy now but off road it worked like a charm.. He has had no problems with it... Later

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-02-08 09:40, DDGETHS wrote:
Shawn are you talking about Super Swamper on Offroad.com? Big Dodge Diesel also runs one.. He said that it took a little getting used to driving with on the HWY cause it turns so easy now but off road it worked like a charm.. He has had no problems with it... Later

YES SIR. have you seen super swampers truck with the dick cepek 44"s on it. from all that Big Dodge Diesel list for his truck that he has and has done to it that he has a little to much money on his hands!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Check your steering stabilizer. I replaced mine today and didn't here the noise on my way home. Put in the trail master ssv.

·
Banned
59 Posts
Hey, I busted the steering gear shaft that connects to the pitman arm right in half. I hit a rock suprisingly, going 35-40 mph. It wasn't that difficult to install, but the steering box was approx. 500 bucks. Pretty expensive for a stupid mistake.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-02-27 20:41, Tweaked wrote:
500 was that for a factory or aftermarket box??

$500 is cheap if its from the dealer, ive been told $700 by 2 different dealers. i got mine for $100 off some guy on ebay. he works as a dodge tech and hs a bunch of Mopar parts. he says he can pretty much get anything, he pays 20% over dealer cost.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts