Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What could cause that the pitman arm's support is loose? i don't think this is normal (couldn't be, it's unsafe, i think). Should i replace the steering box for a new one from AGR, or can i repair it? is simple to repair? HELP, please. By the way, it overheats very easily (spills oil from the reservoir, a lot)

·
Registered
969 Posts
Is your truck lifted? When my lift was put in an air gun was used on the steering box and that broke the seal. Is it leaking fast or just seeping?? If its seeping than its probably just a seal. If the seal is broken that would cause the pitman arm to move laterally more than usual.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, is lifted 6" with a Cepek kit, with 35x12.50 on 15x10 hellcats. The seal has been replaced, but there is still play on it.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Hmmmm, well the steering box may be bad, it happens. Its just that I've seen some people replace the steering box when the seal was the only thing wrong with it.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-01-06 20:33, Outlaw Ram wrote:
Hmmmm, well the steering box may be bad, it happens. Its just that I've seen some people replace the steering box when the seal was the only thing wrong with it.

i have the same problem, but is a seal going to fix the side to side movement that the sector shaft has. ive called 4-5 shops that rebuild the gearboxes, and a couple of them have told me that some play is normal, but not measuring it or knowing that measurement i dont know if mine is normal.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I don't know the exact way to do it but there is a set screw on the box that is used to adjust the worm gear play. I don't know the exact setting it is supposed to be. it seems easy enough though.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I found the web site where I saw the tech write up for it. this site also has many other dodge problems and corrective actions.
http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/mods/steering/steering_gear/Adjust.htm

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-01-07 10:26, dgeram4x wrote:
I don't know the exact way to do it but there is a set screw on the box that is used to adjust the worm gear play. I don't know the exact setting it is supposed to be. it seems easy enough though.

you can only adjust the play so much. doing so also speeds up the wear process and make the steering to tight for over done. your only supposed to turn the set screw an 1/8th at a time with a maximum of a 1/4 turn. guess what that didnt fix the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts