Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First let me tell you what I have, a 2001 1500 4x4 with a manual 5.2. It is stock so far with few exceptions (sprayed nerf bars and bed, stereo and 285/75/16 on new wheels). I read this forum which is dedicated to offroading and the forum on dodgetrucks.org which seems to be dedicated to speed and wonder why can't you have the best of both world. What I want is a fast truck that can beat my boss's 2000 chevy in the quarter mile and also go through a mud hole or over a sand dune without getting stuck. I would love to put some 315's on but I would need new gears (4.56's) but that would limit my max speed to 75 mph from what I have read. My question is, can I have both or do I need to quit dreaming and realize you have to pick one or the other?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
You could go with 4:10's and not loose alot of the top end and still have the pep on the low end if I am correct (correct me if I am wrong guys) If you want the height but still was a stiff suspension for handling you could go with the RS9000 Rancho shocks with the manual adjustments so you can soften it up for off road and stiffen it up for racing. You could put the 315's on there but, that might kill ya. Might have to have two sets of wheels if you want to race and mud!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'm running 3.92 gears and 315s, and I can still surprise people, but I definitely am down on torque.

Lots of people run 4.56 gears. With 315s and 4.56 gears you'll be turning over 2300 rpm or so with an automatic, 2500 rpm with the manual.

Really, that's not REALLY high rpms for these engines. Redline is up at 5200rpm, and they don't torque-peak until 3300 rpm...

With 4.56s you'll be MUCH steeper than the stock gears, and you're take-off will be VERY torquey, but you may still lose to the chevy in the 1/4 once you hit second gear, but the 5.2 should rev nicely.

And either 4.10s or 4.56s will be nice in sand/mud.

Can you beat him now?

·
Registered
969 Posts
More inportantly whats the chevy running for an engine?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I can't beat him now, I can beat him off the line but after that it's over. He is running the 327. I realize we are comparing the 318 with 230 pony's to the 327 with 300 pony's but the 318 is pretty torquey compared to the 327 and I know with some mods and such I could utilize that torque to get a good head start and then just hold on for dear life. But if I go with a 3" lift and the 315's I know that would just slow me down even more, Is there a happy medium between speed and off-roadability (such as sticking with my 285's and switching to 4.10 gears, since the tires do pretty good offroad just without the clearance that a lift and 315's would give me) and just performance mod the hell out of engine?

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I wonder how well Dubge does... he has a supercharger (not installed yet) has NOS, has 36" swampers 3" body and I dont remember what suspension....

Thats Dubges truck!

·
Registered
66 Posts
there is always a way to make things fast and huge, it just depends on how much money u want to spend. look at monster trucks huge things but still are fast as s***. if u have enough money you could probably go sky high with like 44's adn then put dual supers adn nos and heads and cams and all that s*** and kick his ass, but it still come down to the money u want and will spend on it

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
3" cat-back, headers, M1 intake, K&N GenII, and a Mopar Performance Computer. Total up around $1500-1600 if you do it all yourself, and you'll smoke him. You'll easily be up around 260-270hp, maybe more. MPC itself is good for 25 horses.

bump the gears to 4:10s, keep the tires at 285s/295s. You'll gain torque with the gears and all the mods but the headers, which will kill your torque down low. BUT... the headers will open up the top-end, which your engine doesn't have in comparison to the chevy.

Once you are 3000 rpm into 1st gear, it's always up there so torque only gets you a jump from the start. Then it's how you shift, and how much torque you have from 3000-5000 rpm.

You may still lose ground once he gets reved up, but if you can keep ahead... :):

Look at what the Dakotas are doing for performance mods.

FJTHIS needs to get on here, he knows this performance stuff...

·
Registered
9 Posts
but no remember that the gears cost the same for a set of 4:10's and a set of 4:56. I went with 4:56 on my ford and i have glad that i went that low. I run 35's and i can do 85 at 2500 rpms. I have put on a new muffler cold air intake and a computer chip and a few more mods on the air intake. and iam running close to 300 hp. I can take any one i race up untill the start of third. the other day i beat the s*** out of some rice of the line. I think that it also helps that i have a detroit locker in the rear so i dont sit there spinning my tires i just heat the gas and i f***ing fly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The first problem is that mopar does not make a PCM for my truck which is a 2001 manual 4x4. Secondly I would put on 4.56 gears but I really don't want my top speed to be 75-85mph. I would like it to be up in the hundreds. Would 4.10's give me the power to push my 285's and/or 315's if I decide to go that route and still keep my top end speed? One more question I looked in my glove box to see what gears I had and I found out that I have 3.55's as expected but on the front axle is an M44, I'm assuming that is a Dana44, and on the rear is a corporate9. What is a corporate 9?

·
Registered
66 Posts
the corporate 9 1/4 is Chrysler's rear-end. it is in the middle between a dana 44 and a dana 60 in strength. i have 33's with 4.10 gears and i top out at about 113 but that is pushing it. i have a quad cab 4x4 dodge ram 1500 with the off-road package 5.9l adn i have raced my friend with the single cab 4.3l chevy and i always kick his ass off the line, but he catches up to me because i dont really have top end. mopars arent really top end machines without aftermarket products but they have a ton of torque so get the aftermarket product and you will be fast top enand go with 4.10 gears and you will get off the line quicker

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Really, anything over 80-90mph and you're asking for trouble... Large tires aren't speed-rated for much over 90, and a blow-out at those speeds would seriously suck. Probably would total out the truck. And the cops would laugh, and write you a few tickets for reckless driving, excessive speed, etc...

Now, if you're keeping it to a drag-strip, that's a little different, you're not going to get up to speed for very long, so you can probably get away with more there, and you don't have to worry about the police. Just your insurance.

However, if you poke around at KRC's site, you'll find that for an extra $100 or so on top of the standard PCM, you can get one of their "custom" PCMs. The custom ones don't care what year your truck is, 4x4 or 2x4, etc, but they don't carry a CARB exemption number. But then, they do look suspiciously like a Mopar PCM.... :):

http://www.krcperformance.com/krc_performance_pcm.htm

·
Registered
246 Posts
ok woody is right dodges are not speed machines. if you want to beat him then go to a track first before you are some one else gets hurt. woth the power issues it depends on how much you want to spend. power is money in the situation. you could get exhaust and a chip, intake, gears, then go with a super charger and just stomp a mudd hole on him.:): with out the blower you can get in to intakes and cams then .... if you do a chip,exhaust,air intake,cam,gears you could stomp him out pretty easy as well. or there is always going bottle fed and supriseing him but niteris is very tricky stuff. you need to think about how bad you want it ... it can blow your engine if you do it wrong. but if done right you will make him look stuipid and still keep your top end. you can do it with 3:55 gears just go to NOS and get a system for your truck ... maybe 100hp shot with a progressive rate comp chip and a self acctiveatted peddle switch so then you are leaveing it up to the system and not you. maybe 1500 ... its been a while since i looked that stuff up. but if you want your top end and off-road capeablity just bootle fead that bitch :): give me a how much you want to spend and i will give you a list.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Mopar Performance has 2 cams for the magnums, the R/T cam (which is rated at +35hp)and some new one(rated at +45hp). add the m1 intake and ported TB for another 10-15, roller rockers, and a KRC pcm, and you should be close to 300hp. the cam is $400, intake is $350'ish, ported throttle body is $250-$500 depending where you go(holley makes a 52mm for $400), headers figure around $300, roller rockers $300, autolite 3923 spark plugs(a couple of hp), move your IAT sensor from the intake to the plastic intake duct, take off the stock fan and replace it with a pair of electris fans, underdrive pulleys $100, performance exhaust$300.
i could on and on. hell you could do all that then add the additional 85hp from a supercharger.
its just depends like everyone says how much you wanna spend.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. And one more questions.
It appears to me that putting 3.56 gears on will limit my speed too much so I am thinking about going with 4.10's, will that be enough for 315's if I decide on those? Also will a Detroit Locker in the rear affect my in town driving such as turning radius or mileage, etc, or will it act just like a LSD when in two wheel drive?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought of one more question, I keep hearing move the IAT sensor. Does anyone have any pics or instructions on this and does it really make that much of a difference?

·
Registered
807 Posts
What do you care about beating your bosses chevy on the street for? just take him offroad and show him what a real truck is meant for. i dont think that chevy is going to beat you then. your gonna be pulling him out of mudholes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, I think I need to restate the Boss's Chevy thing. I was just using that as an example of the kind of acceleration and top speed that I was looking for while still maintaing, and making better the legendary offroading capabilities that Dodge is known for. My main goal in life is not to beat my bosses Chevy, that was just an example.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts