Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if this had ever happened to anyone else. Went to start up the bronco the other day, and the starter made the most hellacious racket I had ever heard, like the pinion gear wasn't engaging on the flywheel correctly. Crawled underneath the truck only to find the starter was damned close to falling off the bolts were so loose. The bottom one tightened right up but the top one is stripped now. I guess the tapped hole in the bellhousing hollowed itself out or something when things loosened up. So now I am off to drill and tap that hole out, and I am gonna soak both mounting bolts in alot of locktight!!! This ever happen to anyone else???

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
thats ford for ya

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has nothin to do with Ford there buddy . . . it has to do with th peckerheads that rebuilt my tranny in June of this year. They have no idea what in the hell they are doin, and as we speak, they are installing a new torque converter because the "new" one they put in is no good. Besides . . . ask anyone if they would turn down a 351W, and a C-6 in their ride.
I would rather have my truck than drive the POS Corvette that I have had to borrow till I get my truck back.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
well now since i do own a 1972 DODGE POWERWAGON 4x4 i can talk smack.
and i havnt had to replace any of the origanal drive train or had to have anybody else do the work for me. So once again thats Ford for ya.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not Fords fault that the peckerheads that rebuilt my C-6 put the flexplate on bassackwards and when the untorqued starter bolts loosened, once again the fault of the guys who did the rebuild, the starter hit the flex plate.
So it's not "Ford for ya . . . "! Rather it's "Cottmans for ya."

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey guys! Can't we all just get along??? I don't like fords either but what can I say, I got a foreign truck. Oh well a 351 does sound nice, a 360 sounds even nicer, but a 400 sounds really nice. LET'S ALL GET ALONG

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Ford <br>
Chevy <br>
Dodge <br>
At least it is still american made.... and since we are in a economical crisis...the 3 of us will be buying parts and working on our vehicles.....<br>
I have owened a chevy for 11 years... and I have been through...<br>
15 starters<br>
10 altinators<br>
5 water pumps <br>
radiators, cams, pistons ( lost one in the woods.. came right through the oil pan... was very bad.. )<br><br>
so with that note I leave you with this... <br>
if you have a pretty boy 4x4 then it will only cost you what you put on.....<br>
but if you own a REAL 4x4... one that gets used... you will replace alot of things... that is the name of the game....<br>
Hope my 2 cents were spent wisely....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Nick that bites, but it happens. Gives you the incentive to learn to do everything yourself. I have basically the same truck, no problems like you've mentioned but if you wheel it you will break it, always something that needs to be looked at or fixed.

Of all the different vehicles I've had anything to do with Jeep was the worst, couldn't trust that POS to cross the street without breaking. IH Scout was next worst, 3 different Dodge trucks were next, Ramcharger & 2 1/2 ton P.U.'s, all were POS's, luckily I didn't own any of them, they were company vehicles. A Ford Ranger was OK, biggest problems were caused by repair shops, usually Ford dealerships. A GMC Suburban was pretty good, just too big mostly. And My Bronco is the best of them all, it goes everyplace I ask it to and with over 160K miles has never had a major failure of anything.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Hey nick that sucks, you should add that place to the "places to avoid section" down near the bottom, so everyone know what happens over there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts