Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain the differences between the two of these two me or if there is any advantage of one over the other.
Which would last longer on the street?
The reason I ask is the SSR's I can get a 37. The TSL I can only get a 36.

Thanks.

Bill

·
Registered
969 Posts
The SSR is better off road cause it has siping in the tread blocks. They both wear the same pretty much. But the SSR's are much more expensive, I was gonna get the 35x12.5's but they were $225, and my 36 TSL radials were $200.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
My SSRs have 50% tread left after 10,000 miles (it has slowed down since I lowered pressure). They ride nice and in the wet they do pretty good. The locker still makes them break loose, but not as easily as the TSL Radials probably due to the siping I suppose.

Next tires may be 36" TSL radials or 35" MT/Rs

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
*SSR's:
The SSR Series of Super Swamper Radial/TSL tires is the next generation of light truck radial tires. This series has many of the OEM sizes for Sport Utility Vehicles and 4 Wheel Drive light trucks who do not want to modify their vehicles but still need the performance of Super Swampers. The design incorporates a slightly tighter tread pattern, siping for wet pavement traction and icy conditions, greater sidewall protection with traction features and is quieter running.

*TSL Radial's:
The Super Swamper Radial is the most aggressive light truck tire ever developed. It is designed for a very smooth ride at surprisingly low noise level.

*info taken directly from thier site:
http://www.intercotire.com/

Seems like they are pretty much the same tire, except for the tread and sidewall patterns...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Well I don't know what Jason thinks of his SSR's but my TSL radials do howl on the highway. I don't know why they say it has a quiet road sound.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
I think the SSR's have a thinker ply also? they do for the size im thinking about anyways. since my truck is a heavy duty and all.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Talking to one of the guys at 4 Wheel parts that I trust he told me that the SSR is a little less agressive and a little harder tire so you will get more miles out of it over the TSL.

I think I am going to stick with the TSL since the SSR is like an extra $55 more per tire.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yeah the ssr is more expensive even though they are both a 10ply rated tire.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
The SSR is also a wider tire than the TSL Radial in the same "width". The tread blocks on the radials are closer together than the bias version, and I think the SSRs are even a bit closer than the radials. That would account for the longer wear talked about.

I hear that the SSR sidewalls are more prone to cutting, but I have not even scratched mine yet. Most of those comments/concerns come from hardcore rockcrawlers though.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I busted one of my TSL radials in the sidewall, its still a mystery to me as to what actually put the hole in it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts