Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody give some tips about turning the tortion bars to raise the truck up a couple of inches. Will i be able to stick 16 inch rims and 33x11.50 or 12.50s Bridgestone Duelers on my stock 2002 Ram 4x4. Will it affect the ride and handeling and will it work that easy.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I know vaguely how on a chevy (cousin did it), but I've never done it.

On those, you can loosen up a lock-nut, torque the bars some more, and then retighten the lock-nut. I would expect it to be similar.

Ride will be harsher (effectively making the springs stiffer), but it will ride higher.

But that's about all I know.

You might want to look into buying the FSM (Factory Service Manual) for the 2002 trucks, and read how it's all put together, and then see if you can figure out how to do it, but that's an expensive (albeit VERY usefull) book. ($100-120)

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
usually and on all the torsion bar setups ive seen, there is only a bolt to tighten or loosen; no luck nut. the only reason that the suspension would be any stiffer is because you are basically extending it towards the end of its drop. sits on the bump stop and doesnt have much travel there. the bolts could be at either end of the bars. on my charger they are in the front, but on the chevy trucks they are in the back.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
alot of the torsion bars have a jamb nut. you can tighten both at the same time. in doing so you will make your ride stiffer, possibly make it un alignable, run the risk of snapping the t-bars(seen it happen on a nissan), the downward travel wil be next to nothing(basically your by tightenin the bar your pushing the control arms down)since the upper control arm will be close to touching the bump stop for over extending. the max you can reasonably get is 2" either way raising or lowering(ive have 2wd and 4wd ricers)before you start to sacrifice ride.
this is probaly the biggest reason myself and alot of the others on this board bought a DODGE, no Inferior Front Suspenion.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
that can no longer be said of the 2002 1500's though. they have gone to the dark side like the others. at least there is still the 2500 and 3500 lines with the solid axle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts