Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am having a problem with my Dakota. I know most guys in here have Rams but I have one of them too. The problem is when I am driving around under 10 mph theres a squeel in my front left wheel. Ive had the brakes replaced and the dealer checked it and said nothing was wrong...go figure. I have checked everything I know of and still have no idea whats causing it. If anybody has had similar problems or knows of anything else to check i would appreciate it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Its a burnt wheel bearing. I had the same problem. This happens when the bearing is to tight, heats up on the freeway, and burns out. My tire almost fell off on the freeway because of this. Check it before you lose your spindle like I did. Those suckers will set you back a few.

·
Registered
295 Posts
If it makes the noise without using the brakes it's most likely the bearing. If it happens when the brakes are used it's the brakes. Check the bearing before loosing the hub and rotor they will set you back almost $200. Been there done that!!! Twice!!!

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i droped off my truck at the dealer last week and they said my wheel bearings were like new. I really dont believe that but its still makin that annoying squeeling noise. I guess ill just live with it or bury my truck in the mud so i dont have to hear it. But if you have any more suggestions im all ears.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Id take the wheel off and everything apart and regrease all that stuff. cant hurt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If it happens at walking speeds, have someone walk beside your truck and listen to be sure where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Jack up that wheel and place vehicle on a jack stand. Then get a beer, and sit down beside the wheel staring at it. Put your hands on the top and bottom of the tire and shake it up and down.. is there movement? Ok, now take a swig of beer and grab the wheel side to side and shake it side to side... again, is there any movement?

Drink rest of beer then come answer. :):

-Chris

·
Registered
8,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The beer idea sounds like something I will definitely try. I am not sure if i will get any answers but anything involving beer and work is worth a try!

·
Registered
464 Posts
No seriously jack it up and check those things. I'm a auto/diesel Technician (glorified mechanic) and might be able to tell ya what it is.

-Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts